Laws on towing a vehicle

Mark

Ex. Club Member
I am asking if people know the Law on towing a car with another car with a dolly/a frame or a tow bar.

i have been told that the car being towed doesnt need an mot or tax when being towed by a dolly as its classed as a trailer so i cannot have passengers in it,

can anyone shed some light on this for me as i am in need of getting a undriveable car home

when did you do your driving test? as if was in past few years you will need to do another test to tow trailers as far as i know

hehe ive always wanted to do what neil sr did with his. He chopped a Micra in half and tows it places hehe :)

Andy_S said:
hehe ive always wanted to do what neil sr did with his. He chopped a Micra in half and tows it places hehe :)

That has to be one of the coolest idea's ever done on this site!

All i know is...if you have a Land Rover...and you tow anysize trailer you need a test....

So i was told by my Police man friend...

ok look at the DVLA site to clear this up ok

anyone can tow a trailor up to 750K unbraked anything above this and it gets complicated.

Basically you are not allowed to drive a vehicle that weighs more than 3.5tonnes (on a newish licence) so the combined (were talking MAM or GVW i.e. the maximum wieght of the vehicle, not actual weight) weight of your towing vehicle and the weight (MAM) of the (braked)trailor must not exceed 3.5tonnes. So basically forget towing a car as car trailors usually have a MAM of 2tonnes+. Oh and the MAM of the trailor must not exceed that of the towing vehicle.

What he asked. The car your towing on a dolly must be registered, taxed and MOT'd as it is on the public highway, Sorry Mark.

Your best bet would be to get someone else to get it back for you. I'm in the same predicament. there's a car in Bristol that I was after but sans MOT and tax i can't get it back.

Surely you have some friends or friends of friends who are able to do this?

if any of the wheels of the car been towed are touching the ground, then it *MUST* have all the valid stuff (MOT, tax - not sure about insurance tough...) - however if you get all the wheels off the ground then yes, you will not need MOT or tax

half a micra i.e. not a registered car with no engine and no means of self propulsion you should be reyt.

Back