kwik fit trouble (ripping b???????)

B

Baker

I went to kwik fit this morning to get my brakes checked out coz they were making grinding noises. So about 1hr later the mechanic comes up to me & explains whats wrong, something about the front caliper not working as efficient as it should be. so:
new front caliper £106.40
2 new drum cylinders £110
2 new drums £116
pads & shoes £54
supplies & materials £17.48
Total: £403.88

I couldnt believe it, my brakes were in pieces & it was going to cost £403.88 to sort it out. So im going to the scrap yard for them instead & have a go myself apart from bleeding (ill leave that to the local garage). Anybody else had dealings with big name garages

p.s has anybody got a rh caliper for sale for the k10, pm me, thanks

Sounds like the kinda noises my brakes are making! Check out the thread 'micra issues' in general K10, slim gave some advice on sorting this.

Arnold

From experience, if you look like you don't know what your doing, they can try and shaft you... they try to scare you into making it sound like you are going to die very soon. Also, their parts prices are a lot. They are good for tires round here - but only because they will price match anywhere else.

If you want brake parts, try www.brakeparts.co.uk - they seem cheap and good. £40 for front caliper, £6.25 for rear cylinder, £8.10 for discs, £16.43 for drums, £10 and £8 for front and rear pads respectively. Much cheaper.

What's the reasoning for getting the garage to bleed the brakes? It isn't that hard.

I have an old micra lying around, its just had new pads and the disks are in great nick! Offer me a good price and they could be yours!

Daz :alien:

RE: RE: kwik fit trouble (ripping b???????)

K10Daz said:
I have an old micra lying around, its just had new pads and the disks are in great nick! Offer me a good price and they could be yours!

Hi, you said you had an old micra lying around, was wondering if you'd be prepared to sell it? If so what sort of condition is it in?

Cheers

its gubbed mate, was in a front end smash! front end is crippled, drivers side is perfect, engine still runs etc but the body lets it down

bleeding the brakes is easy enough, it helps if you have 2 people though. Obviuosly you get these 1 man kits, but the old fashioned method seems to work best

Back