Help Needed ASAP - Brakes

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Im in the middle up changing the front brakes on my car, disks and pads. Whats the best way to get the piston back into the caliper so the new pads will fit, the hammer certinaly doesnt work.

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Piston?
Have you pulled the caliper into 2 pieces?

If thats what you mean, have you disconnected the pipe, if not, open the nipple and try pushing it back on.

If I'm not even close, sorry for wasting your time

OP
OP
scottish-sr

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Piston, the wee round bit the pad sits against that the oil pushes on. I need to get it pushed back so I can fit the new disks and pads.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
if youve got a small piece of wood and a clamp....you can proabably tell where im going with this...just put piece of wood over piston and clamp it up slowly (one side on wood - other side on caliper)...piston should retract enough to get the caliper over.

mike

I love Ed!!!!
to push it back in you will need a big screwdriver or a hammer. Using the handle push the piston back in. It will work best when the pistion is not filled with fluid.

B

Ben

ah - the days of changing brake pads in the freezing cold on the micra - how i will miss those days

R

RIK

Big_ben said:
ah - the days of changing brake pads in the freezing cold on the micra - how i will miss those days

2nd that,,i have to go to dealers nah for mine

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
yeah you say that but it isnt a nice experiance being freezing with hydraulic fluid up to your elbows and a nut that just doesnt wanna budge no matter how much your burn it, shock it, hammer it then miss and hit yourself. i do enjoy working on my car but in those conditions it isnt fun.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
get a big pair of pliers to push the piston back in, you dont need to loosen the nipple to push them in just make sure you take the reservoir cap off when pushing the piston back in and make sure that you tighten every bolt tight cause you dont want your brakes falling off down the road

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
And there was me thinkin i was the only one that actually took off the resevoir cap! I learnt the hard way and inverted the seals on the master cylinder on ma mummys punto lol! The joys of being a budding learning mechanic lol!

Daz :alien:

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
K10Daz said:
not funny when it rains tho! And the paint falls off like water!

ive never seen that happen sounds cool to watch not cool for the bill afterwards tho

note to self must keep thread on topic