knocking

paul_k10_Lx

Deactivated Account
i have a knock on declereation it is speed related not rev related as its there with the clutch up or down increases or decreases with car speed. i double checked and found some of the wheel nuts not properly torqued up does ne one else have ne ideas???

sounds likethe front which was what made me think it was the wheel not done up properly havent driven it since torquing them up

Check your wheel nuts ASAP

And don't just look at them. jack the car up a bit, undo them all a bit, wobble the wheel around and reseat the wheel back on the hub and then do the nuts up. Do them up in a X (cross-like) fashion. This ensures they push the wheel flat against the disc/hub.

(just tightening them up while the full weight of the car is on them won't tighten them up properly, you must do as I've mentioned above)

Once you have them all tight, you can lower it down and tighten them up a bit more (because now the wheel won't spin when you try and tighten them up)

Yom said:
Check your wheel nuts ASAP

And don't just look at them. jack the car up a bit, undo them all a bit, wobble the wheel around and reseat the wheel back on the hub and then do the nuts up. Do them up in a X (cross-like) fashion. This ensures they push the wheel flat against the disc/hub.

(just tightening them up while the full weight of the car is on them won't tighten them up properly, you must do as I've mentioned above)

Once you have them all tight, you can lower it down and tighten them up a bit more (because now the wheel won't spin when you try and tighten them up)

i did that yesterday havent been out in it since

It will be the wheelnuts mate.

i did exactly the same the other week when i'd put new suspension on! :doh:

sonic said:
could be a wheel bearing or cv joint.
I still reckon you should check these. also check the brakes are ok, no binding or sticking, the disc isn't touching the backplate anywhere is it? and make sure the calliper bolts are tight.

well its mot time next week and if its nething serious with the brakes it will pop up same with the bearing so we will see

check the torque on the hub nuts mate.

on my celica it made a very similar clunk, try and see if it does it when you go on and off the gas in a low gear at high revs.

might not be this on your car but its worth a check

If any of your doors have dropped i wouldn't bet against the knocking noise coming from the doors. My K10 used to do it. When i would accelerate it would knock and when i deaccelerated it would knock

Back