Keyless entry has stopped working

Hey,

Yesterday I tried to unlock my car (for the first time in a week) using my standard unlock button on my key. There was no reaction and it remained locked. As the doors do not have any keyholes, I couldn't get access.

I now understand that there is a hidden lock on the passenger door which I will locate tonight, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this unlocked using the standard key attached to the fob, which I use to start the ignition (I do not have keyless ignition, only keyless entry, I still use the large key to start the car)? Or is there another key that opens it? If there is another key, I don't have it! I only have the key which is used to start the car.

2) If I gain access, will the car actually start? I understood that you had to press the unlock button, which in turn disables the immobiliser? If this button has stopped working and I use the emergency lock to get it, will the immobiliser disable and will I be able to start it?

3) What usually causes the keyless entry to stop working? May it actually be a problem with the immobiliser (I think I noticed that the red light that flashes on the dash when the car is locked, to indiciate the immobiliser is on, has stopped flashing - what does this mean and how would I go about getting the immobiliser fixed?).

4) Could it be a problem with the key fob itself? Do they run on batteries that might need replaced?

Many thanks.

well you have found the key hole whats a bonus (Y) 1 key does all so door and ignition all the buttons do are the central locking the imob is a passive chip in side the key what needs no power

by the sounds of it you just have the standard locking a key with buttons on it.

The Keyless system is totaly different as is a plain fob with no buttons all you do is walk to the car and it opens get in press a button to start the car

its more than likely that the battery in the key has died all you need to do is replace it then reprogram as per the user manual

or the car battery has died but you wont know that till you try to start the car

edit. have you tried the the spare key ???

well you have found the key hole whats a bonus (Y) 1 key does all so door and ignition all the buttons do are the central locking the imob is a passive chip in side the key what needs no power

by the sounds of it you just have the standard locking a key with buttons on it.

The Keyless system is totaly different as is a plain fob with no buttons all you do is walk to the car and it opens get in press a button to start the car

its more than likely that the battery in the key has died all you need to do is replace it then reprogram as per the user manual

or the car battery has died but you wont know that till you try to start the car

edit. have you tried the the spare key ???

How do I replace the battery? Do I need to take it to a dealer? Can I just buy one and do it myself? The car battery has died before, but the key still worked. I'll try it all tonight and see what happens. I guess if it starts fine, then the problem is with the key battery.

How can I tell if it's a problem with the immobiliser?

How do I replace the battery? Do I need to take it to a dealer? Can I just buy one and do it myself? The car battery has died before, but the key still worked. I'll try it all tonight and see what happens. I guess if it starts fine, then the problem is with the key battery.

How can I tell if it's a problem with the immobiliser?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fxt_vYJOALw/S5JqcOMQHKI/AAAAAAAAACA/GnP1TzB7KO0/s320/06032010169[1]

That's the exact key I have.

Don't I need to press the unlock button to disable the immobiliser? Therefore, if I get in through this secret keyhole, I won't be able to start the thing because the car will still be immobilised? Or does putting the key in the ignition turn off the immobiliser and allow you to start it? Where can I buy a new batter for my key?

I've fallen at the first hurdle.

I can see the little key symbol on the handle of the passenger door, and it seems to have a small rectangluar hole on the bottom on the stationary part of the handle. However, the key doesn't fit in there, and when I try to remove the plastic cover altogether it won't budge.

Where is the keyhole and how do I get the cover off??

Ok sorry for the continued posts, update:

I got in, put the key in the ignition, and nothing. No noises, no chugging, just total silence and not a thing happened. Do this mean that the immobiliser is still on? It doesn't seem like a flat battery? Any idea how to solve this? Will my breakdown cover be able to sort it, or is it a nissan dealer?

Edit: Maybe it is a dead car battery - but why does that mean that the central locking on the key wouldn't work?

Central locking won't work because the ECU and the lock solenoids need juice. Can you try connecting jump leads from another car, that's what the AA will try first (or an equivalent booster pack)?

Back