K12 Reverse lights not working

Hi all

Ive got a 2004 1.2 micra SE with the reverse parking sensors. However my reverse light does not come on; ive changed the light bulbs and still not working. The reverse parking sensors work tho. I was told it was an electrical problem? I dont know how i passed MOT lol

Last edited:
May be a faulty reversing light switch.
The fact that the reverse parking sensors still work rather suggests that the switch in the gearbox is working.........
The reversing lights are probably finally controlled by the Body Electrical Control Module (the same as the rear wiper and a few more things). When my rear wiper stopped working, disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds, allowed the module to re-set and had no problems since. By the way if you make sure your radio is turned OFF during the battery disconnect/re-connect time you should not lose the coding of the radio, just limit the amount of time with the power off to 30 secs maximum......(may work for considerably longer but on my car 30 secs with no power, but the radio turned off, holds the coding)

Last edited:
You passed your MOT because the revercing light is not a component that it checked. It could get you an advisory though.

I have this same problem, but occasionally the light works and other times it doesn’t. All other components on the rear of the car work like the wiper, so I don’t think it is a buss problem?
Did the battery disconnect work for you?

The fact that the reverse parking sensors still work rather suggests that the switch in the gearbox is working.........
The reversing lights are probably finally controlled by the Body Electrical Control Module (the same as the rear wiper and a few more things). When my rear wiper stopped working, disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds, allowed the module to re-set and had no problems since. By the way if you make sure your radio is turned OFF during the battery disconnect/re-connect time you should not lose the coding of the radio, just limit the amount of time with the power off to 30 secs maximum......(may work for considerably longer but on my car 30 secs with no power, but the radio turned off, holds the coding)
Thanks for replying john, however ive tried disconnecting the battery before and it doesnt seem to do the trick ‍♂️

You passed your MOT because the revercing light is not a component that it checked. It could get you an advisory though.

I have this same problem, but occasionally the light works and other times it doesn’t. All other components on the rear of the car work like the wiper, so I don’t think it is a buss problem?
Did the battery disconnect work for you?
Didnt work for me no:/
All my wipers work, sensors work but the reverse light doesnt work

Didnt work for me no:/
All my wipers work, sensors work but the reverse light doesnt work
Earlier this week my reverse light stopped working.....gearbox reverse switch obviously still working because with front wipers working, selecting reverse put rear wiper on.
I removed the rear light unit and checked the bulb with a multi meter, all OK, so then with the ignition on but engine not running I checked the positive feed to the empty bulb holder and found 12 volts there :confused:....put the bulb back in and the 12 volts on the feed track vanished :confused:. deduced that there was a high resistance connection 'up wind' , next port of call was to unplug the multi plug from the back of the lamp unit, 'tweek' the connection pins fractionally off centre to make the plug female connections bear harder on them. Replaced the plug and voila reversing light comes on!:cool:

Earlier this week my reverse light stopped working.....gearbox reverse switch obviously still working because with front wipers working, selecting reverse put rear wiper on.
I removed the rear light unit and checked the bulb with a multi meter, all OK, so then with the ignition on but engine not running I checked the positive feed to the empty bulb holder and found 12 volts there :confused:....put the bulb back in and the 12 volts on the feed track vanished :confused:. deduced that there was a high resistance connection 'up wind' , next port of call was to unplug the multi plug from the back of the lamp unit, 'tweek' the connection pins fractionally off centre to make the plug female connections bear harder on them. Replaced the plug and voila reversing light comes on!:cool:

Thanks John,
I will try this on the weekend, fingers crossed .

Pat

Im gonna play with it and try what you did when i get the time haha; thanks for your help!

Back