K12 Keyless / Boot Locking problem

Hi all,

Our K12 2003 Micra has developed a strange problem. The boot lid randomly locks and unlocks (mainly while driving). Sometimes it is not possible to lock/unlock the boot lid at all. In addition, there is a strange "whirl" noise from the near side rear passenger door.

The problem started a few months ago, got worse and eventually the car appeared to stop recognising the spare key. We changed all the keyfob batteries which made no difference. We took it to Nissan and was told all the keys just needed to be recoded. This was done (at a cost of £60) and it did appear that all the problems had been resolved. However the problem has started to come back around a month later. Interesting we normally only use one of the keys but the problem appeared to return after we used the spare key again (which had been working perfectly after the recoding). This might just be a concidence but could it act as a trigger?

I am worried that I will go back to Nissan, be charged again to recode the keys but still have the underlying fault.

Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Shanker

the boot lid handle is broke get it replaced this will solve all your problems with the unlocking/locking palava , just replace your key and get rid of the spare one!sounds like a plan bud

It's water ingress into the boot switch.....buy a new boot lid switch on ebay and change it yourself......Nissan will charge an arm and a leg. I had exactly the same trouble. It's a cheap Renault electrical part.......pah!

replace the solenoid in the bootlid and it will open and shut fine :D these are reasonably cheap and can be done yourself..
If the whirring is just when turning the car on and off id imagine its just the sound of the fuel pump and nothing much to worry about there..
You will find with the spare key it is not the coding but the ignition barrels are a bit bizarre in the k12's and when the key feels like it is full turned in the barrel grip it tight and force it a tiny bit further and it will turn over, dont be afraid, it wont break, it just wants to be used, when you have done this a few times with the spare key it will work fine.

Back