K12 c+c 1.4 turning over but won’t start

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice please?

I offered to do some work on my partner’s mother’s Micra 1.4 C+C 2008 car, oil change, new brake discs and pads, etc.

Long story short, drove it about a fair bit with no problems, parked up and a few days later went to turn it around. It started, ran for a second and died. Since then it turns over, catches slightly here and there, but will not start. Strong smell of petrol at back of car so presumably not a fuel shortage?

Perhaps unrelated but prior to this, it would occasionally when driving lose power for a couple of seconds then be normal again. Also has very high oil consumption but no obvious exhaust smoke when driving and no leaks underneath.

Because of oil usage and prior to not starting, I did a compression test which showed 3 cylinders good as per Haynes spec at 14 bar, and one cylinder low at 12 bar. Spoon of oil through spark plug hole increased to over 14 bar, so worn rings or cylinder? Haven’t tested again since the no-start.

I’ve had an OBD reader on the car and no faults are logged.

As a precaution I changed the camshaft sensor which arrived this morning. Still won’t start.

I’ve had diesel cars for yonks, and I’m a bit stuck right now what to do next with a petrol. Any advice please?

Thanks

Back