K11 poor running woes

Help!!!
I've just bought a W reg 2000 Micra 1.0s a week ago. Within a day of buying it the Engine management light came on and it lost power. Tickover was fine and it was ok around town at low revs but as soon as I put my foot down, the engine would die. Bought myself a new fuel filter and a set of plugs and fitted them. Whilst I was doing this, I disconnected the battery which has reset the engine light.
It's now much, much worse!
Starts fine, ticks over no problem it just won't rev, even in neutral without load.
I've read some posts on this site but to be honest, I don't know where to begin. My car has the individual coil packs. Does this mean it will not need the TB resolder mod? There seem to be lots of individual sensors etc on this car. Can these be checked with a multi meter for resisitance or whatever? The idea of being fleeced for £100's by a dealer is scary.
Any advice would be much appreciated.:(

hi johno11

sounds like the fuel is not getting in to me, i would soak the air filter with petrol as a first step and see if it revs up then

Now I'm worried.
Read an old post from someone saying he'd had similar trouble. Managed to clean his MAF sensor with carb cleaner and it worked. He went on to ask for a way to reset his engine light without disconnecting the battery as he'd heard this can de-code the coil packs??? What does that mean? Is that what I've now done?
Help.
Forgot to mention in earlier post. When I changed the plugs, the old plugs were very sooty on the outside.

maf sensor has failed! new maf sensor required

and wtf at this "He went on to ask for a way to reset his engine light without disconnecting the battery as he'd heard this can de-code the coil packs???"

thats completely untrue micra coil packs are not coded on any model k11 or k12

The plugs were sooty on the outer edge, the ceramic still looked pretty white. To be honest, they looked pretty new.
I feared the MAF was the culprit although I can't understand why it's gone from annoying lack of power to undriveable by me changing the plugs and disconnecting the battery.
Has anyone come up with a realistic solution to the MAF replacement yet or am I going to have to dig deep?
I'm in Doncaster.

That's an awesomely generous gesture Frank but we are a fair distance apart. Does that mean you have a spare '2000-on' TB that I could buy if req'd?

johnno11

its off a 93 car but has a scrappie yellow paint marking on and looks a lot newer, not sure if they are the same but would serve as a diagnosis i think ?

Cheers Frank, but from what I've read on this site, the 'coil-pack' model has a different set-up. I've seen a few knowlegeable posts by Fordy, sounds like an authority on the subject. Still don't understand why it has got so much worse without touching the MAF.
Is it correct that it can be checked by unplugging it? Can it be cleaned up? Should I have bought a Vauxhall?

Is it correct that it can be checked by unplugging it? Can it be cleaned up? Should I have bought a Vauxhall?

nope nope and deffinatly nope lol

if you can find the same type micra in a scrappie buy some 5 star security bits and remove just the maf sensor from the throttle chamber this will save you alot of pennys

Bu**er!
Sounds like I'm going to have to get my hands dirty! Is the MAF the uppermost thing on the TB, were the top block connector is?

Back