K11 nervous ride on a snow ?

At these winter days I spot a nervous ride behavior of a Micra, when I drive on some layer of a snow more than 50KPH car still need to correct a ride direction. It's a bit annoying and I'm not feeling safety at all.
Do you recorder it? Is it just due to lightweight of Micra?
On wet or dry road, Micra holds direction absolutely perfectly.

I noticed it too, there so light and if your on skinny tires it makes it that much harder, I got through a week of heavy snow last year and on the last day of it my luck ran out. Be gentle on breaking and steering.

PICT0002.jpg

Breaking surprised me a bit as it just wants to slide. I couldn't help putting my foot down to spin the wheels in third but when you let off it likes to slide about and wobble a bit. But as a whole im reasonably careful when its snowwy.

Yes, I'm driving carefully of course, mainly when I last year try to steer to 90degrees turn at 40KPH on a snow and stood 10cm from brigde construction after almost 5metre long slide.
I have a new winter tyres on front and 6mm on rear, but still driving is not a funny at all (except parking trough handbrake :D )
So it looks like just a attribute of K11...

My Micra doesnt really seem to notice the snow, it happily cuts through it with its skinny tyres on its original wheels which I have on all year-round. I didnt drive any of my cars during the OMG SNO KAOS day as it wa sa Saturday and there wasnt really that much to do.

My Micra seems harder to control in the snow than I expected. I've read a lot of online reports that they're quite good in snow due to narrow tyres, weight etc. I'm wondering if I'm experiencing more spin etc because my car has the CVT box? I've driven lots of cars and autos in snow, but this one scares the crap out of me as it seems too easy to lose control. It's the car's only downside.

Any tips or advice I could try chaps or do I have to live with it?

Dawn :)

mckenziecz: Yes you're right actually we have here in Pilsen about 15cm and it's still snowing, today I stood for 15minutes on highway because some truck loose control a crash into barriers.. on highway was about 5cm of snow, everybody goes about 80KPH and still it was a bit fast because under layer of a new snow there is a layer of ice on a road.
I use an 155/70 r13 winter tires, so tires is not a problem..

Well, also England get like 2 inches and everyone's ****ed
You're not kidding mate. I've just driven home from Manchester in the peeing rain and 80% of the other eejits on the road were driving at 40-50 mph on dual-carriageways and motorways because, apparently, 'it's raining' :mad:. I've taken to bellowing 'IT'S RAINING, NOT EFFING ARMAGEDDON!!!' at the particularly slow ones :D.

I LOVE driving in the snow, but only in my Corsa! So much fun. You have to be gentle on the controls, avoid braking if possible, and use high gears. Just be careful out there!

This is the first time i am driving in the snow, i know that i should either brake or steer, not both to avoid something! So far its been fine.

I have a 1.0 auto micra s, is being atomatic worse in snowy/icy conditions?

Driving a micra in the snow is the funniest thing you can do, whilst everyone in the saloons and big new hatchbacks are struggling to go past 10mph I'll happily and confidently go past them at 30

Being a small, light car gives it a massive advantage over most other cars the tall skinny(ish) tyres help massively as well

My first K10 with 155 tyres was fine in the snow. My K10 ST with 195 tyres was the most scary experience of my life in the snow.

I've had no problems with mine in the snow.. but ICE is a different story.. it just won't dig in. My advice to everyone though would be that when it snows, forget your normal driving behavior. Drive your car like it has the traction of a bar of soap in a bath tub. Think several(10-20) seconds ahead.. don't use the brake as much.. let off the throttle and downshift to slow for bends and stops. When slowing down, leave it in gear until you have almost completely stopped. This will(should) keep the tyres from locking up if you don't have abs. When accelerating, ease onto the throttle.. and it would seem counterintuitive, but I tend to get less wheelspin when I keep the revs up 3-5k while going up hills. I've owned rwd, fwd, and 4wd vehichles, and these tips have always kept me safe. And as emuzeg said
either brake or steer, not both to avoid something!

I've had no problems with mine in the snow.. but ICE is a different story.. it just won't dig in. My advice to everyone though would be that when it snows, forget your normal driving behavior. Drive your car like it has the traction of a bar of soap in a bath tub. Think several(10-20) seconds ahead.. don't use the brake as much.. let off the throttle and downshift to slow for bends and stops. When slowing down, leave it in gear until you have almost completely stopped. This will(should) keep the tyres from locking up if you don't have abs. When accelerating, ease onto the throttle.. and it would seem counterintuitive, but I tend to get less wheelspin when I keep the revs up 3-5k while going up hills. I've owned rwd, fwd, and 4wd vehichles, and these tips have always kept me safe. And as emuzeg said
I was just gonna say at least one english person know how to drive in snow, but then I noticed you are in norway. Lol

i found my micra fine in the snow its the other people that dont no how to drive in it that messes it up its snow it slippery deerrr
only drove the micra 1/2 mile to pick up capri and 2 people slided out of side roads and almost took me out even in the capri i could sit at 70mhp and dual carriageway no probs just maybe turning on to slip roads sideway or backwards was the only thing but fun lol

I was just gonna say at least one english person know how to drive in snow, but then I noticed you are in norway. Lol
I've lived in Norway for 4 years now, but I'm originally from Tennessee in the states. No one there knows how to drive in the snow. Even a little frost, and everyone seems to go insane. But it's normal there to only get a light dusting of snow a couple of times a year.

Some great tips, thanks!

I took my Glanza out on Friday and that was scary, totally different to driving the corsa. For one the tyres had no grip whatsoever (Goodyear Eagle F1), and the steering & brakes were even lighter than the Corsa. ABS kicking in too. The TGTT guys said i need different tyres and it would behave a lot better, but I think i'll just get the Corsa out next time

Back