K11 Kangeroo's then Cuts out ...HELP !!!

1cc

Hello all

i am new on here

nice forum good to see there is a community for these cars

i have a problem with me ma's k11 1 litre
its a 1994 model

i have changed the throttlebody as i know this is a common problem
that solved the problem for a while

but now when on part throttle it completly cuts out

(i looked like such a freshie today when i broke down by the bus stop and had to push the car by myself ..but at least i made some girl laugh )

here is a list of things i have changed

i am guessing its the ECU or Cat

1.rotor arm
2.distributor cap
3.ht leads
4.throttle body
5.spark plugs

what do you reckon it is ????

anyone had the same problem

sometimes it starts other times it does not
i have also put in injector cleaner
and checked the fuel filter and they work fine !!!

any ideas
anyone breaking a 1994 model as i made need a cat or ecu

I can think of another 2 possibilities. The oxygen (or lambda) sensor in the exhaust mainfold is th first; I think they gradually screw up over time and if it starts giving incorrect readings the ECU'll run the car too rich or lean when it's in closed loop mode. The other is the throttle position sensor, dunno what effect having a knackered one of those will have, though.

tbh your throttle body is most likely roken again, try re-soldering it apparrently this works. did you buy the TB from a scrappy or recon? i guess it wasnt brand new as they are like £450 from nissan

squigbobble said:
I can think of another 2 possibilities. The oxygen (or lambda) sensor in the exhaust mainfold is th first; I think they gradually screw up over time and if it starts giving incorrect readings the ECU'll run the car too rich or lean when it's in closed loop mode. The other is the throttle position sensor, dunno what effect having a knackered one of those will have, though.

Hi thanks for the reply
you reminded me

we unpluged the Lambda and it was still doing it ..so i dont think it was that ..am i correct ???

The throttle body i got today is a re con and it came with a new tps and other sensors fitted so it may not be that either

thanks for the reply ..that was good of you

1cc said:
we unpluged the Lambda and it was still doing it ..so i dont think it was that ..am i correct ???
Ummm... I can only come up with that- the lambda reading (and whatever the ECU decides to do with it) makes no difference to the way the engine runs under the conditions u've been driving/testing it or the ECU gets the same reading from the sensor whether it's plugged in or not. Obviously, the latter situation is bad. I'd also like to point out that the closest things I have to a mechanic's qualification is an AS in Physics and a Haynes manual so could esily be somet' completely different.

squigbobble said:
Ummm... I can only come up with that- the lambda reading (and whatever the ECU decides to do with it) makes no difference to the way the engine runs under the conditions u've been driving/testing it or the ECU gets the same reading from the sensor whether it's plugged in or not. Obviously, the latter situation is bad. I'd also like to point out that the closest things I have to a mechanic's qualification is an AS in Physics and a Haynes manual so could esily be somet' completely different.

listen man ...thanks

if i unplug the battery and the 02 sensor should it reset the fault in the ecu ??
and then i will should i be able to tell if its the response from the 02 sensor

when the engine does run is the engine light on, cos generally with ecu's if the lambda sensors are not working they will bring a code up, which a nissan dealer will be able to identify for you

FORGET the lambda sensor it will not do this.

Get a haynes manual and learn how to read fault codes from the ECU, It will log intermittant sensor failure, but lambda sensor will not do anything like this at all.

Ed

i have this problem sometimes, i have re-soldered the tb anyway, my car can just cut out if i hit a bump, for some reason hitting a bump knocks the ignition off, the key ignition btw, just simply touch the key and it fires back up and i can carry on caining chavs in fiestas

Strange one is this. I'd try to get a hold of another TB if you can and try that as i think it would probally be that. Common fault on the K11 as you know :)

Ed said:
FORGET the lambda sensor it will not do this.

Get a haynes manual and learn how to read fault codes from the ECU, It will log intermittant sensor failure, but lambda sensor will not do anything like this at all.

Ed
*switches to the right track and rejoins everybody else*

my bro thinks its an electrical problem
a loose connection

are there any common weak points ??
are there any earth points i should check ???

the Tb was changed yesterday
but it still has the problem !!!

anyone got an eco for sale
it could be the distributor

DO a fault code readout!! How can people suggest things when chances are that is holding the exact information you want to know right now!!

fault code read out is best idea,take it to a mechanic and thats the first thing he wil do
anyway

do you know how to do this? it tels you in the haynes manual if you have one

Back