K11 Clutch Change

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Its time to change the clutch on the 1.0L Micra K11 1998. Gather that there are three engine+transmission mounts to consider.

Q1: Which are the mounts to remove completely and which one to loosen up and keep nut/bolts still in place

Q2: Once the gearbox housing is pryed apart, will the bell housing just move apart or will there be a further amount of force necessary if the throw up bearing is holding any parts

Q3: Has any body got drawings or web links for the trasmission cable linkages - and how to unlink - also drawings of the mounts.

Q4: On re-assembly - Is it recommended to use medium thread lock - blue - on new pressure plate bolts?

Thanks
Danny

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i always take the 2 g/box mounts off and lower the g/box to the floor on my pre98 1.0 danny (with shafts in situ)
but i helped to do a 1.3 one the other day and had no trolley jack so we ended up just pulling the g/box to one side, shafts in situ also (it left only a 6 inch gap to access the clutch and i thought it was gonna be a mission )
to my surprise is was a piece of piss to remove the clutch !! and because the pressure plate face was 180mm (the same as the friction plate) it was dead easy to line it up centrally too
and the cover bolts have got spring washers on :)

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Thx Frank.
I take it that you dont use threadlock on pressure plate bolts.
Where can I get a clutch kit with the alignment tool.
I would go to Europart for a Miyako Clutch Kit.

Danny

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
no, the spring washers will suffice danny
and i only rate the LUK oem/genuine clutch personally (my exedy one slipped)
and be careful not to knock the clutch arm when refitting, the retaining clips on the thrust bearing are easily dislodged :eek:

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
After the install, how will I know if I must make a clutch pedal adjustment?
- or put it another way, if I buy an OEM clutch, will it minimise the chances of having to make a pedal adjutment

Danny

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
1. Dont know much about the 1L engine but for the 1.3L only mount i undo is the rear transmission mount the one below the battery tray.

2. The gearbox just wiggle apart. Without proper lift tools ie, hoist and working by yourself i would recommend removing both drive shafts as lifting a 20kg box and getting the driveshaf to move as well is a bitch and a half.

3. The transmission cable is pretty easy to undo just losen the end nut and slide it off the clutch hook.

4. Using thread lock... personal choice i guess. Upon inspection of the factory bolts that comes out of the clutch there doesnt seem to be any thread lock use from factory so i didnt use any. Make sure to bolt the clutch back with proper torque setting. Car has been driven for about 500km now and no problem so far.

Tip of advice. Make sure to invest in proper lift tools and get a second helper if your never done it before. Work safe. Good luck.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
yeh, thats what i do danny :)
this was an engine change, but same difference eh

Attachments

• 64033.jpg
    64033.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 25

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Thanks Frank.

This seems to be a great way to go - whenever you need access from the front, you just strip out the front grill and radiator. I have learnt a lot from you!
After you do it a couple of times, its second nature I assume - for you.
I'd like to see you working. When are you working on your next Micra clutch.
Brum is not far.

Danny

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
micrafun2 WROTE:

"Mimz WROTE:<BR><BR>Make sure to invest in proper lift tools and get a second helper if your never done it before. Work safe. Good luck."</DIV><BR><BR>I was thinking of using trolley jack No.1 under the oil pan, and jack No.2 under the transmission. Would this work ok?<BR><BR>Danny

I still had my front radiator support bar on so the engine is supported by 3 mounts so didnt really use any support jack for the engine. As for the transmition using a jack is from underneath i find isnt useful as the gearbox isnt exactly flat.. good for removal and lowering the transmition but for reinstallation i just hook it to a chain and lift it up with an engine hoist.

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Mimz

Thanks for the comments to my queries.
This is good advice on the the lifting equipment and a second helper.

Danny

Mimz WROTE:

"1. Dont know much about the 1L engine but for the 1.3L only mount i undo is the rear transmission mount the one below the battery tray.

2. The gearbox just wiggle apart. Without proper lift tools ie, hoist and working by yourself i would recommend removing both drive shafts as lifting a 20kg box and getting the driveshaf to move as well is a bitch and a half.

3. The transmission cable is pretty easy to undo just losen the end nut and slide it off the clutch hook.

4. Using thread lock... personal choice i guess. Upon inspection of the factory bolts that comes out of the clutch there doesnt seem to be any thread lock use from factory so i didnt use any. Make sure to bolt the clutch back with proper torque setting. Car has been driven for about 500km now and no problem so far.

Tip of advice. Make sure to invest in proper lift tools and get a second helper if your never done it before. Work safe. Good luck.

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Thanks to all who have pointed me in the right direction.

Have yo got a micra gearbox being serviced outside the car:
Would appreciate pics of the clutch linkage and the gear shift linkage(s) which need to be undone.

Danny

Back