K11, 1.3...Questions from a newbie

D

Dave-G

Hi guys,
I just got my missus a newer car after passing her test.
I needed a car with the driver seat able to travel forwards enough for her very short legs-and back enough for my very long legs!.
:laugh:The kids are all "normal sizes":p
Last owner dint supply the manual(tch) How do I turn off those loud traffic announcements? (its a SLX model),Is the camshaft chain or belt driven-if so at what mileage?,What oil should be used,Is there only one shade of silver for nissans of that era...(rust spots below some windows,noticed it on many others since).
:eek: I guess that'll do for now. My car is an 02 galaxy ghia tdi auto,but I find the nissan equally pleasant to drive:glance:

It is chain driven, the cahin will prob start to rattle at about 80k miles but is irritating more than anything else, 10w40 or 15w40 oil will do you, I am pretty sure there is only one shade of silver. Does it have a rev counter?

Also welcome :)
Craig

:wow:Thanks for the quick reply Craig :wow:

Yes mate: it has a rev counter

yes very annoying rattle! is their anything to stop this apart from getting a new one fitted?

Dave-G said:
How do I turn off those loud traffic announcements?

on my old stereo there was a button with TA wrote on it press that and on the display "traffic announcements off" is shown, may be different to yours though still worth a try :)

go to nissan with the chassis number for the spray/touch-up. i still dont understand why people dont do this!! its about 6-7 quid

Most bodyshops will do the touchups for you. Got mine done at a small place in Runcorn when I had my "encounter" with a barrier at Morrisions! Only cost £30 to get the bumper and wheel arch repainted, so a few spots should be nothing really.

to turn off the traffic anounsments take a sledge hammer and then buy a new player....

or try the TA button which is sometimes lables TP

Thanks guys, the radio/cassete player is a nissan blaupunct but there is definetly no button labelled TP or TA ? hmmm

i would really recomend getting a new one.... but if you don't have a manual then there is not much you can do....

but if you do buy a new HU DON'T go for goodmans!!!

RIK said:
yes very annoying rattle! is their anything to stop this apart from getting a new one fitted?

No, you could try wearing earplugs though :D
wHART you need is new tensioners

Ok if the radio is the same as the one i got in my slx which i think it should be then traffic info is actually called ARI. on the stereo front there is a button labelled ARI just above the numbers for station pre-sets. that turns it on and off!
good luck :D

hi sometimes you can get away with just changing the top tensioner to lessen the noise, reasonably easy to do.

Thanks stuart...wonder what ARI actually means?

I think I tried every button on the thing but will try again

Next Question:eek:n extended periods of idle,the engine stops! normal tick-over is about 750 rpm after the damper has settled down...is there an idle control valve,and if so is it known to cause problems like this?..and where exactly is it...piccie appreciated if I'm not being too rude?

I believe it to be a screw on the left-hand side of the throttlebody, Haynes is the best place to look.

Huh! It's beginning to look like the previous owner got rid of it at the right time...it keeps trying to cut out when driving too

Thanks Ian,
There's a parts cd copy on ebay for a K11E...is there a K11E derivative of the K11, or is this a missunderstanding?

After some digging,I have spoken to a guy who works at a nissan dealer.
He says that these throttle body probs are cased by "dry/oxidised joints on a pcb" due to moisture degradation. If I understand him correctly,the PCB joints need to be resoldered and greased to delay the same thing re-occurring.
Does anyone know if this sounds correct?

You seem to be the main replyer here Craig,thanks.

Is that the most common failure points of the maf sensor/Throttle body?

I guess I'm actually asking if owt else about the throttle body fails?

I've been offered a used one with a resoldered pcb for £50

Thanks in advance

That is not bad, but soldering your own is free lol, yes it is the MAF sensor that fails IIRC, nissan don't do them separately I seem to remember so you usually end up having to buy a whoe new throttlebody, there should be a guide somewhere out there (Maybe on Cisco's micra files I think) about how to do it :)

Thanks so far...

anybody know what the clips that hold the water pipes to the TB are called,and more importantly.what the removal tool is called or where i can get one?

thanks in advance

Erm, clips lol
Genberally I wedge a screwdriver in them and wiggle till it gets looser, then you have to give the pipe a wiggle and a tug and it should come out - be careful as it will leek coolant

Back