K10 Handling and Ride Quality, input from experienced members appreciated!

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the link Ed, I'm not THAT serious! If I had a super turbo or something then I'd consider that, unless I in future to do some serious modifications to this car it isn't worth that, I'll follow your advice and look up some information etc, I'm not after perfection, just a use able road setup that allows me to drive enthusiastically without having to grit my teeth as the back end skips out upon encountering the tiniest bump.

I'll post again when I've made progress. :)

oh right ok, wasnt sure myself, i know they were from MPH, but not sure if they are a k11 set modified or something?

Now that I am a K10 Super S owner again and actually have some money this time, I'm planning to improve my cars handling a bit.

Since the K10 i've had a Starlet GT and a 106 Rallye, both of which handled far better than it, almost chalk and cheese difference, obviously these are a newer generation of car, and the 106 has a different rear suspension setup.
However the K10 and Starlet suspension is pretty similar, shocks and struts all around with a semi independant rear suspension with the 'dead' axle.

What I find with the K10 is that theres loads of body roll, its rocks over just when I get into it, but when your driving along, every little pebble in the road goes jarring through your spine, at 60mph+ down country roads its almost dangerous as the cars bouncing about everywhere. Because of the bouncing the front (and indeed the back) of the car is prone to brief losses of traction as the wheels almost leave contact with the road.
Is this just because the shocks and springs are worn out being almost 20 years old? Or is it just how a K10 will always feel?

I'm happy to spend some cash upgrading shocks and springs, I'm not interested in slamming it, but if it doesn't deal with the car bouncing all over the place when driving at speed then theres no point.

Any thoughts and pointers much appreciated!

Rich

You need stiffer springs and shocks + F&R anti roll bars. You would possibly have to get a custom coil over kit F+R.

as ed says stiffer springs and shocks, yours will already have a rear antiroll bar, ive seen people using 2 or even 3 rear roll bars, and one of the best mods i did handling wise was fit a front antirolr bar from a k11.

Cheers Ed,
If adjusted correctly would a coilover kit be liveable with on the road?
I want to improve the handling, but the roads where I live are terrible and I need to live with it daily...

Is there any particular trick to matching shocks and springs with each other, I've seen a few up for sale for the K10 but its hard too tell whats good and what isnt, for example would these shocks: http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35965-K10-SPAX-Sports-Dampers be the sort of thing I should be looking at getting?

Thanks for your quick reply.

I can't find the edit option so sorry for the double post! How easy a swap is the front ARB? Don't mind if I have to drill holes or whatever!

Best thing to do is look at spring rates and dampers used on similar sized cars. Most people go OTT on the micra and totally ruin its ride, buy having a total "track" suspension system that's ridiculous on the roads.

This is where talking to a decent manufacture of suspension is vital. If they are any good they will know what will work.

If your serious, start here: http://www.leda.com/pages/contact.html, and I would expect somewhere in the region of £5-800 for a full setup.

as i am aware theres a few ways of doing it, i drilled my k10 wishbones for the roll bar but ive read there may be other options, such as possibly k11 wishbones or figaro ones, but im not 100% sure here hence why i drilled mine and put an insert through so ### didnt crush the wishbone.

you will need to make some mounts that go on the chassis of the car, i used 10mm steel plate, cut to shape and welded to the chassis, this was the only real option as i could see, then i just drilled and tapped the plates for the roll bar to fasten too. i did a thread on it ages back, but with the new layout i cant seem to find where you can view all my past threads.

baz has coilovers on his st, speak with him about them.

Front suspension from ST and K10 is not compatible, as far as I am aware.

I dont know much about other setups but 2 coils off the standard springs and shocks make a hell of a load of difference. Also, dont know if it was off here but someone said that mk2 golf rear coilovers fit the micra. Also gonna check the front ones and see if they measure up aswell.

Also forgot to add (they really need an edit button on here) That you cant have both, ride comfort and handling, its always gotta be a balance. Some people want it nice and stiff for the handling, others want a more comfortable ride but not handle like a barge on the standard stuff.

While your right you can't have ultimate handling and ride quality, you can certainly get both a hell of a lot better than the standard setup!
I'm definitely not after a track setup, but a fast road because I drive enthusiastically.

From what I've seen so far the spax -35mm springs and the adjustable gas dampers seem the way forwards, going to talk to a proper company first though! :)

just recently i fitted KYB Gas struts and -35mm springs from the same company. £210 delivered was hell to get the top mounts off seems to be even more comfortable and handles better!
heres a few pics of why i changed mine:
DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

to be honest whatever you change it for i dont think you can go wrong (Y)
good luck!

Old thread

Cutting spring coils is not recommended. The top and bottom of the spring is flat so they sit correctly when fitted, and you lose that when they're cut. Anyway, you can get Spax springs for the K10 which are very stiff, and a variety of shocks. KYB & Boge for example. As stated above, it's not very expensive to do the job properley, and get a much more comfortable and better handling car.

My K10 was back breaking hard, but that's how i liked it!

Old thread

Cutting spring coils is not recommended. The top and bottom of the spring is flat so they sit correctly when fitted, and you lose that when they're cut. Anyway, you can get Spax springs for the K10 which are very stiff, and a variety of shocks. KYB & Boge for example. As stated above, it's not very expensive to do the job properley, and get a much more comfortable and better handling car.

My K10 was back breaking hard, but that's how i liked it!

its not that old :p who cut their springs then? :doh:

I guess Arnold means this has all been discussed before, I'm having trouble searching for it though as all the words are very generic so you get millions of results!

Thanks for the advice everyone, Arnold, I currently have the back breaking thing, but without the handling to make it worthwhile :p. I guess the suspension is just old and knackered.

whilst we are on suspension. Does anyone know if the front shocks are removeable from the standard k10 struts? If not, are the k11 removeable?

My k10 was sloppy and harsh but then i got a complete set of monroe gas reflex shocs & springs from a 4-door in a scrappy. Ride's like a caddalac now, as for loss of grip i've only every had a slight bit of that when i lost my temper and belted it round a hard right once.

just recently i fitted KYB Gas struts and -35mm springs from the same company. £210 delivered was hell to get the top mounts off seems to be even more comfortable and handles better!

Where did you get that kit from? pretty much what im looking for and within budget.

Ive gotta give them a ring though as thats seems too cheap compared to what everyone else charges, but otherwise its within budget. Can't wait to get rid of this boat-like handling lol

Ive gotta give them a ring though as thats seems too cheap compared to what everyone else charges, but otherwise its within budget. Can't wait to get rid of this boat-like handling lol
haha had the same problem used some unnamed springs like these and KYB gas shocks and its amazing!
and its only -35mm! (Y)

I wanted 50 or 60 mm though but no one seems to do it, my suspension is way past it so its probably already a bit lower than standard, you got any pics of yours on 35mm?

Looks alright, I still wish I could get 60mm springs though lol are they super s bumpers? mine might look weird as its the early model with the skinny bumpers but as long as it does corners i'll be happy!

yes they are cos it is a super s! the whole shibbang - including the annoying extra engine bits! lol
im sure you could find 60mm if you tried hard enough!
good luck! (Y)

Hi all, iam a new member and have had my k10 on the road for a week. I have had mk1 and mk2 fiestas and minis ect oh and corsa sri/gsi so iam very keen to exceed theyre handling capabilities. I also have 200sx's but i cant see a micra getting anywhere near the handling potential of them.

I have been searching the forum for answers and keep pulling up this thread. Anyways i have dramatically improved the handling of my car by cutting the springs and fitting k11 front and rear anti roll bars. its not great over bumps though.

Soon i will have in my possession some golf mk2 coilovers which i will be attempting to retrofit to the k10.

iam also looking into fitting a k11 rear beam axle because it appears to be far better mounted and also the brakes are probably an upgrade.

i will also be fitting k11 front hubs and lower arms with the larger bush.

oh and some 175 50 13's when my wheels come back from the banders.

I will update this thread as i go along and let you all know my findings.

Best thing to do is look at spring rates and dampers used on similar sized cars. Most people go OTT on the micra and totally ruin its ride, buy having a total "track" suspension system that's ridiculous on the roads.

This is where talking to a decent manufacture of suspension is vital. If they are any good they will know what will work.

If your serious, start here: http://www.leda.com/pages/contact.html, and I would expect somewhere in the region of £5-800 for a full setup.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Ed I'd have to disaggree with your "track" setup comment ,from what I've seen no one on the site has spent decent money on a proper setup as in coilovers, no offense to any of the lads.
I bought a set of nearly new kyb gas shocks specifically for the st with a set of lowering springs. They were great as regards to ride quality, stance of the car and the way it took a corner but on a 100km/h B-road with uneven surface the car was undrivable and you feel the the cars weight come into play and the suspension flaws, it cant control multiple bumps,potholes and dips in the road fast enough.
Thats why i went for a spax k11 rally setup on the front and custom spax on the rear. It has lower spring rate than a full on track setup. the dampening is 28 point adjustable also has helper springs .On its softest setting its about the same as the standard st factory setup although the car will still handle better.

As a matter of interest have you ever drove a k10 with a proper setup?

Back