K&N and insurance

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
I'm new to the forum, just paid for my new toy - a 1.3 GX and I'll be collecting it this month.

I know inductions kits have to be declared on insurance, but do the K&N replacement filters (the ones that go into the normal airbox?) Whilst it does supposedly increase performance (a little), is it just treated as a consumable (like decent tyres, different oil etc) or is it classed as a mod?

Thanks,

- Ant

According to advertisements for K & N it doesnt have to be declared as a Mod as it is a replacement element - like for like swap.

Do you have any links confirming it (so i could print and show the insurance company should I claim).

Also, do they make any difference on the micra?

When I rang my insurance company years ago and told them i had a K&N and exhaust they asked 'does it increase performance' and i said, well not really, and they didnt charge me for it, they just added it on :)

K&N filters do make the car feel more responsive, well worth buying one...I would strongly reconmend the induction kit insted of a replacement though.

Nis.

Over here we claim nothing, cops looked at a friends gt starlet and said that tubo is against the law, and he had to explain it was a intercooler. then he asked what type of car it was. Ended up he was sound but over here they dont know much on modified cars. But i suppose the uk is alot bigger and modified cars etc are way more common

I'm trying to be as subtle as possible with this car, so I'm thinking start with a replacement filter, whilst I recover from paying insurance / tax / buying the car.

Then getting a new backbox and induction kit.

Are there decent exhausts which don't make a huge amount of noise? and is it worth getting a backbox if all i'm interested in is a little more power (not looks or noise)?

Is there any mpg benefit (if driven normally) to having the kit / zorst fitted?

(I'm trying to be practical with the changes until I can get some NCD on my insurance..)

- Ant

Back