k11 with k&n panel and emissions light

i have a 1.0L micra with a k&n panel filter in it. bit dissapointed with the noise as my mates 20quid universal cone in his xsara is louder, but never mind mines only a litre and i wanted my insurance to stay valid, hence the panel filter not a big cone.

Anyway, my problem is ever since i had the car (even with the stock filter) i have had the emissions light on the dashboard come on. The car has been in the garage several times to get reset and eventually replaced (due to it coming back on), I also think the engne got tinkered with by the garage im not sure. However, the other day it came on during hot weather and then it came on for about 1min after i started the engine up, and after a few days of that it has gone off completely. Has anyone else had this problem? is it due to the new filter? im sure im asking the right people :) Also any ideas how to get more performance out the car or make it louder (preferably without a backbox as i cannot afford insurance im 17 going on 18). Sorry for the long post:grinning:

firstly no the air filter will not bring on your engine light.

the engine light could come on becuase any number of sensors in the engine are not working properly, probably best you try and get a fault code read-out.

also do you have any driveability problems (like a mis-fire, poor idle, etc)

if you want your induction to sound louder with just a panel filter, saw the tip of your resonator pipe off, if you dont know what im talking about i will try and get you a picture (this also helped increase performance on mine but hasnt for others).

lastly a good mod for the 1.0s is putting cams in from a 1.3 micra, i would also say the usual (ie exhaust) but you said yourself you dont want to bring your insurance up.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the msc ;)

if your car is 1993-1999 then you can find out how to do a fault code read-out by searching for forums, if yours is 2000- then you need to get it on a consult computer (like at nissan)

thought id better add that! :)

A panel filter wont make your car any louder, because the airbox is still reducing the sound. Whereas a cone filter doesnt have the airbox surrounding it so the sound isnt reduced.

where u from u interested in swapping a universal enclosed cone type filter for the k+n its silver chrome lipped with a carbon effect across it when i got time i grab u a piccy if ur interested...

no thanks on the swap, but thanks 4 asking anyway:grinning:

the car runs fine with no misfires etc. i think as the sensors been set off once its a bit temepremental. The garage says its the oxygen levels in my manifold that are sensed so it must be too high at times but oh well its gone off agen now.

im no car expert sorry so what wud cams do and what are they (wud be v.grateful 4 any piccies)

and what if i hack off the resonator pipe (is it the pipe that looks pointless with a peice of fluff inthe enf in my air box). please add piccies as mentioned in a post

many thanks

ill get you a pic of the resonator pipe tomorrow!

The cams are in the engine, right in the top of it tho. So its fairly easy but ONLY if you have mechincal knowledge. If you dont have much/any mechincal knowledge then you shouldnt bother with that mod!

dogrosie said:
and what if i hack off the resonator pipe (is it the pipe that looks pointless with a peice of fluff inthe enf in my air box). please add piccies as mentioned in a post

urm nope!! thats the breather hose i think your talking about, and its not pointless!!

ok. i have no real mechanical knowledge inthe way i havnt a clue how to take the gnine apart. what efffect would the cams have. obviously i wudnt expect miracles cos the cars only 59bhp.

ohh i was thinking the resonator pipe was the 1 next to the air feed pipe that appears to be useless. wheres the resonator pipe then?:upside: (im not gona do anything to the car at this stage im just inquiring) any other tips on how to get any power outa the car as its ok with just me driving but usels with mates in or when going up a hill
thanks for the picks il deffo check them out:)

the cams gave me between 6-10bhp id say, its made a big difference to how the car drives.

as for the resonator pipe, see the attached picture, this isnt my engine bay but it explains things nicely enough.

Where it says "saw here", do it as close as you can to that point, as thats where the resonator pipe is still quiet thick (so lets more air in) but it is after the 90 degree bend so its still facing forwards (good for picking up cold air)

good luck

ps. just to be clear LEAVE the induction pipe alone!

ahh so it is the pipe with the manky fluff in the end in my filter box. looks like cotton wool, should i replace this as it's filthy?? what does a resonator pipe do. how much are cams and how much is fitting and is it classed as an engine mod (sorry to be boring but insurancers dont like young drivers). i may get a new airbox off ebay from a write off car or something and do that and then cut a big hole inthe back of the air box where straight below the filter. so many questions, im new to this car modding im sure you can tell:glare:

the fluff is for the oil breather, you can clean it, i clean mine very occasionally. Cutting the resonator pipe in that picture will give you a noticeable bit of induction noise, aswell as helping performance slightly (may not even be noticeable). I think the resonator pipe is for reducing induction noise, im not sure if it has any other purpose but cutting it has had no negative effects on my car. Cutting a big hole in the back of the air filter may decrease performance.

Getting somebody to fit cams would be expensive, dont you know anybody who'd do it for you?

It IS classed as an engine mod, but as the cams say "nissan" on them, an insurer would not find out if you were to not declare it.

Disclaimer: not encouraging insurance fraud blah blah so please nobody start that arguement.

ok wildo. i emailed you (thats rlees85) a picture as im not permitted attachments in posts. i nicked the piccie frm ebay but wil get a proper one of my engine bay with filter box open 2moro hopefully. could you shed some light on what 1.3 litre cams would do to the engine i nterms of how it would make it faster and how much are the parts etc. of course if they are on the internals of the engine no-one would ever even know (as if the engine itself is damaged ina a crash would almost certainly be written off not repraired). many thanks

thanks for the reply to the email. yer the resonator does branch off the induction, and the pipe with a fluffy bit is soemthing else.

Back