JDM Style Tailgate

Hi I am just wondering who has done this ?

IMG_1716.jpg

I want to know how much it cost if they didn't do themselves. Would love this, cant find a pre-done tailgate.

Cheers

Yeap did it my self with micra pro :) I had to get a new bootlid for mine as my old one met a sorry end oops! Took a fair bit of fibre glassing and body filler and respraying as that boot was silver and lots of sanding :) but I like it so I think it was worth it :) x

I am just a bit worried, it says on my logbook my car is grey but as you can see its clearly not? Don't want to have to shed through two coats of paint haha!! x

Yeah they do :) No not atall :) all mine is done with rattle cans :) depending on the the code a can will be roughly 7 pound or 14 :) x

I think the only welding needed is to cover the four holes that are left by the boot handle, you could probably get away with fiberglass though as they're only small. You'll also need to plug up the hole for the Euro plate light wiring. New holes need to be drilled for the plate lights. You can use K11 ones from a March but those are hard to find, or K10 ones which are easier to find but are a bit squarer than K11 lights.

No welding atall :) all fiberglass and bog :) may have a picture bare with me :)
Yes they are k10 lights as I smiled at the lovely young man in a scrap yard and he gave me them :) mehhh, saved abit of money and just couldn't find the March ones :) x

If I take the boot handle off (I have one of the big facelift ones) will it leave holes outside the indentation where the number plate goes? I'll try and draw it

Nope. The holes are in the recess. The only marks will be the outline from the handle, which will come off with some elbow grease.

So, will it leave holes like I have drawn in red? If so I probably don't do the JDM boot look as I don't want to start filling and spraying...or, is there a way I can fill the holes with out using filler and respraying etc? Rubber plugs or something or will that look terrible?

Attachments

• 1400846766304.jpg
    1400846766304.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 409
They are actually inside the recess mate and yes... to do clodos we had to fill and paint... But had a silver one because Chloe had an accident with a house of all things!

They're in the recess with this type of boot handle?! I'm surprised this is the type I have. Ah well, maybe they won't look so bad even if I don't fill them

Attachments

• 1400847222588.jpg
    1400847222588.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 311
That's very true, and maybe the square number plate might cover them. I'll have a look at it all soon, any idea on lamps that would look similar to the JDM ones?

Back