Is It Possible? Digital Gauges

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Hey Guys Just Wondering If Anyone Knows If Its Possible To Either Replace The Speedo And Rev Counter + Fuel/Temp To Completely Digital Gauges In The K10 Super S ... If Not Adding Digital Ones And How? Any Info Is Muchly Appreciated! :grinning:

anythings possible with the right skills, i have thought the same but unfortunately i dotn have much electrical knowlege just mechanical lol

if you have loads of time and advanced electronic skills, you could build yourself a set :)

this is my small project, most of the LED modules are done, but that's just 10% of work

(fuel meter would be different, i dont like it)
160wk8x.png

if you want to MAKE yourself a dash, count with many hours of work, but with relatively small budget.. plexi in 3 layers would cost maybe 10 pounds, around 400 SMD LEDs with resistors would cost about 30, and PCB with microprocessors and a few sensors would be about 15-20.. so you are looking at maybe 60 pounds, but take into account that you would have to design yourself absolutely everything.. even soldering of the leds and resistors took few hours only for those large speed and gear displays.

if you want to buy digital instruments, you are looking at maybe 30 pounds/one instrument from Hong Kong on ebay, and 2-4 times that when looking at quality, full digital stuff :)

cheers guys its funny how demontweeks want that much for a calculator style speedo :D

on the one hand, yes.. on the other hand, not that much, but still.. yes

they probably dont sell hundreds every week, so they need to cover their expenses in a few tens/hundreds..

according to the specs, it can measure various pressures and various temps.... of course, sensor is the same type for pressure and temp, but those precious solid state sensor are quite pricey.. if they used standard electronic senders, they would save LOTS of money, but lose LOTS of accuracy..

electronics and programming behind the LCD display (btw, display is one of the cheapest) could be done in 2-3 days, it is just a matter of precise A/D conversion, multiplication by constant and displaying on LCD..

if they invested in nicer gauge and also VFD display, preferably dot-matrix, with data logging to SD card and more easy-to-implement functions, price would not look that high

ah ok well as you guys have answered my original question i was wondering what would be best to get for my car then cos i dont really fancy the price but i do fancy the gauges :D so should i stick with analogue or get some cheapy hong-ebay-kong stuff or..... save a load of cash and just get the best(ish)?

ah ok well as you guys have answered my original question i was wondering what would be best to get for my car then cos i dont really fancy the price but i do fancy the gauges :D so should i stick with analogue or get some cheapy hong-ebay-kong stuff or..... save a load of cash and just get the best(ish)?

well, recently i bought something like this.. vacuum, oil pressure and water temp.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150352833862&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

it has electronic senders, does not look that cheap and does the job.. there are loads of various gauges, digital speedos and combined tachometers, like this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Ga...264&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:2|39:1

you just have to pick.. if you have loads of cash, go for some fancy quality gauges, if you have some cash, buy cheapest which fits you and if you are on budget, let it be :)

thought about stuff for a second and i think that i have to tell you another thing..

if you will order some of the gauges, prepare for fitting nightmares :)

for example.. water temp sensor has M12 thread.. and most of the electronics senders have M10.. solution? LOADS of teflon tape and some silicone, maybe epoxy.. and lots of prayers... or a set of screw-tappers , suitable tube and patience

looking at oil pressure sensor location got me thinking about more nightmares.. it does not look like anything near M10.. more like M20..

if you want to measure oil temp AND oil pressure and there will be two sensors, prepare for buying an adaptor which will fit under the oil filter.. 40 USD cca.

Thanks I'm Actually Going more Off the idea the more complicated it gets but this would be the last thing i do as i still need to get out and clean that engine! :D

Back