Introduction and query

Hi all, I've just joined this forum having been recommended to by the chaps on Pistonheads regarding a problem with my Micra. I've copied and pasted below the text from PH describing the issue we have, with hope someone here may be able to give me an idea of what's wrong with my car :)

All the best and look forward to contributing to this forum as-well.

Phil

In the last year (but mainly last few months) we’ve had some issues with starting our K11 Nissan Micra.

It appears not to like damp, rainy or cold conditions – or cold starting in these conditions. Every time this happens the engine will turn over, but not fire.

We’ve managed to bump start it on several occasions, on others when a bump didn’t work the RAC resorted to removing the spark plugs (they were perfectly functional with life left in them), drying them with a heat gun and putting back in, and hey presto it starts first time. We’ve had to do this (albeit drying the plugs with a paper towel) and again it starts first time.

When inspecting the spark plugs also there is a strong smell of fuel. We’ve been told this could have been from engine flooding. However I don’t understand how this can be, the car has always been driven and bought up to temperature before turning it off, also the spark plugs themselves are dry.

More recently having started the car (from bumping or doing the spark plug procedure) the revs drop dramatically when you press the accelerator (as if to pull away) to the point where the engine could cut out – the engine cut out once and took 3 attempts to restart

When running the car still drives normally, starts normally, engine feels strong as it’s ever been, very strange indeed.

If it's any help it's a 1999 K11c with the 998cc motor and 90k miles on the clock.

things to check

coolant temp sensor 2 wires under dizzy
ignition switch,,,,,,,,,,,,worth a swap out.
fuel pump starting to fail

Back