Interior rearview mirror removal

Hi all

My sister has a K14 Micra and somehow the dipping mechanism has failed and the mirror is wobbling about. I got her a replacement for Christmas but for the life of me can't figure out how to remove the old one - it's got the rain sensor and cover.

I've tried sliding it up/down but it won't budge, and there aren't any holes/slots to insert a screwdriver to release a catch. The big rain sensor cover has a gap all around it where you'd expect it to be touching the windscreen.

Does anyone have any experience of removing this type of mirror? I don't want to force it in case I crack the windscreen!

Any advice appreciated ?

Thanks

Hey @55bb!

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to remove / replace?
From what I can tell, there should be a screw on the back. You shouldn't be allowed to force it off, it should be a gliding system.
Don't forget to remove the cables before uninstalling/removing the mirror itself.

I'd like to help as soon as I have a better idea of what you've already tried & what exactly, you're trying to remove.
The whole mriror? Just the covers? Cables?

Let me know. :)

Hi Stieno

Thanks for your reply! :)

I'm trying to remove the mirror to replace it with an automatic dimming version, but there is a large cover over it and I can't see any way of removing the cover to access the mount/fixings for the actual mirror itself, so it's the cover which is the problem.

I've attached a few photographs in the hope that these will help. The car also had the rain sensor installed at the factory, so I suppose this explains why the cover is so big - it's about the size of a fist.

I've examined the cover until I'm blue in the face, and there are no latches, catches, tabs, little holes for screwdrivers etc The only thing is what looks like either a mould line or a join right along the centre, which can be seen from underneath in picture 4. And in the first picture, the dark line coming down into the cover is cabling, presumably for the rain sensor. The mirror itself is a manual dipping type.

I hope these are helpful

Many thanks :)

Micra 1.jpeg
Micra 2.jpeg
Micra 3.jpeg
Micra 4.jpeg
Micra 5.jpeg
Micra 6.jpeg
Micra 7.jpeg
Micra 7.jpeg Micra 6.jpeg Micra 5.jpeg Micra 4.jpeg Micra 3.jpeg Micra 1.jpeg Micra 2.jpeg

Hi Stieno

Thanks for your reply! :)

I'm trying to remove the mirror to replace it with an automatic dimming version, but there is a large cover over it and I can't see any way of removing the cover to access the mount/fixings for the actual mirror itself, so it's the cover which is the problem.

I've attached a few photographs in the hope that these will help. The car also had the rain sensor installed at the factory, so I suppose this explains why the cover is so big - it's about the size of a fist.

I've examined the cover until I'm blue in the face, and there are no latches, catches, tabs, little holes for screwdrivers etc The only thing is what looks like either a mould line or a join right along the centre, which can be seen from underneath in picture 4. And in the first picture, the dark line coming down into the cover is cabling, presumably for the rain sensor. The mirror itself is a manual dipping type.

I hope these are helpful

Many thanks :)

View attachment 86646View attachment 86647View attachment 86648View attachment 86649View attachment 86650View attachment 86651View attachment 86652View attachment 86652View attachment 86651View attachment 86650View attachment 86649View attachment 86648View attachment 86646View attachment 86647

Thank you for the pictures!

What movements did you already tried? From what it seems like, it is just pulling downwards/sidewards.
Normally it should come off easily, instead of what you have mentioned before.

The bolts/screws should be the visible whenever you remove the cover.
As you said above: the sensor is under the cover.

Let me know if it works or not, if not, I will have a look at my own model.

Hopefully it works! :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures!

What movements did you already tried? From what it seems like, it is just pulling downwards.
Normally it should come off easily, instead of what you have mentioned before.

The bolts/screws should be the visible whenever you remove the cover.
As you said above: the sensor is under the cover.

Let me know if it works or not, if not, I will have a look at my own model.

Hopefully it works! :)
Hi

I've tried sliding it up and down, but there's no movement. I've also tried to pry it off by using a nylon pry bar pushed into the small gap between the edge of the cover and windscreen, but again there's been no movement and I'm afraid that forcing it any more will break the cover or windscreen.

I’m pretty sure you have to split the plastic casing in half vertically. They can be pretty tight to separate. Then you can gain access to where the mirror mounts to the screen

Anyone? Surely someone else has this model! 😂
I am so sorry for my late reply.

As @York of shire said, you should be able to split the plastic, but they hang on very tight.
I tried it after I posted the comment and it came off easily by pressing & sliding them to the sides.

You can try and use this video:
If that doesn't help you can always try this one:
Both cars have similar mirrors as the K14.

Hopefully that helps! Keep us up-to-date :D

I am so sorry for my late reply.

As @York of shire said, you should be able to split the plastic, but they hang on very tight.
I tried it after I posted the comment and it came off easily by pressing & sliding them to the sides.

You can try and use this video:
If that doesn't help you can always try this one:
Both cars have similar mirrors as the K14.

Hopefully that helps! Keep us up-to-date :D

Hi Stieno

No apology necessary! :)

Many thanks indeed for your reply, and the videos - it's making a lot more sense now! Hopefully it'll sort it out :)

Thanks again!

Back