inlet manifold

superls

K10 Tuner
hi everybody.

with these cold endless dark winter evenings, ive been searching for something to waste my time on, so been doing a bit of fabing, as the title suggests its an inlet manifold, pics are in no perticular order

pics shown with my bored throttle body, hatched bit needs removing to clear master cylinder, this wasnt a mistake i knew it would need the corner chopping off to clear. :)

thoughts below

100_1972.jpg

100_1973.jpg

100_1974.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1976.jpg

100_1977.jpg

100_1978.jpg

100_1979.jpg

100_1981.jpg

100_1982.jpg

100_1983.jpg

ta very much for looking :)

Is that stainless then? Some very nice fabrication, have been waiting for these pictures.
Just a few questions: Is that a measured plenum chamber size? and runner length? are you going to use the cga fuel rail with that? if not what are your plans for the fuel rail?
You should be very happy with that mate, looks fantastic!

Nice work (Y) But did you measure it so that when it is in the car it wont foul on the firewall?

Is that stainless then? Some very nice fabrication, have been waiting for these pictures.
Just a few questions: Is that a measured plenum chamber size? and runner length? are you going to use the cga fuel rail with that? if not what are your plans for the fuel rail?
You should be very happy with that mate, looks fantastic!

yes mate stainless, its was more of a project to try my new (to me) tig welder out, some of the welds are a bit ropey but i was learning as i went along

its an educated guess at volume, stock is about 1.1-1.2 litres, alot of places i read said about 1-1.5 times enging cc for NA and 1.5 to 2 times for a charged motor, this is about 1.9-2 litres, so is roughly 1.5 times engine cc, which might be a bit large for na but my plan is to charge it anyway so thought id make it on the large size, runner length is not even an educated guess, its 1.5 inch od pipe as that gave the best shape for the port and allows me to open them up by around 1mm all round, and the length is the longest i could get in before it hits the bulkhead.
no im using a modified cg ruel rail, should have taken pics of it really, basically ive cut off the mounting brackets and the feed pipe, the brackets will be new and the feed pipe needed moving, so essentially it will be the same sort of setup

i am very happy for my first attempt at tigging :)

Nice work (Y) But did you measure it so that when it is in the car it wont foul on the firewall?

yes mate i did measure it, it should just fit, fingers crossed tho as its going to be mightily close but shoulf not foul.

looks art
which tig did you end up with? or nevermind if you want
see what others say bout this,should be intresting

looks art
which tig did you end up with? or nevermind if you want
see what others say bout this,should be intresting

cheers mate, i've got a bit of a relic really, its about 20-25 (maybe 15) year old machine, it would have been a really good machine in its day, but lacks the 'functionality' of newer machines,

it has automatic hf start and adjustable amps thats it, it has facility for pulsed output and a foot control but i dont have the manual so cant explore that route, the newer machines have adjustable everything whereas i had to take mine to pieces and reverse engineer the control board to find out how to turn the post gas flow down, it was at about 10 seconds, ive got it set at around 2-3 now.

Fair play that looks good, how long did it take to make?

cheers buddy, in all id say around 10-15 hours on and off, in evenings and that maybe a bit more, to be honest the whole process was easy and straight forward, but that was spread over about a week (still not finished) so thats me making my wood stove each time and keeping it topped up etc, you would mall it if you went hard at it say at a weekend with nothing else to do.

very nice scott (Y)

cheers mate, will be seeing if it makes ant gains (or even works) lol over the x-mas and new year period, if it does then ill get it booked on a local dyno to see just how much :)

i still dont know what im doing for an air filter arrangement yet lol

did you consider using bent inlet runners to allow for longer ones?
How are you finding tig welding? is it as hard as people say?
I plan to make a nice alloy inlet (similar design) with my new tig when it arrives:) Its just getting the materials, ebay is a joke when it comes to getting metal, think i will be making a trip to my local scrap yard to pick up some stuff.

Would you consider making them for customers? Cause at the moment I'm exploring other routes to turboing

possibly, only saw your pm today, sorry

did you consider using bent inlet runners to allow for longer ones?
How are you finding tig welding? is it as hard as people say?
I plan to make a nice alloy inlet (similar design) with my new tig when it arrives:) Its just getting the materials, ebay is a joke when it comes to getting metal, think i will be making a trip to my local scrap yard to pick up some stuff.

im finding it ok, im not very good at feeding the filler rod yet and i keep touching the metal with the tungsten but im getting better, it is hard and easy, depends really, sticking 2 pieces of metal that but up is easy, but more complex things are harder as you would expect, not tried alloy as my set is DC only unfortunately, but cant grumble at what i paid for it.

gas can be a problem tho, tig is gas heavy process and i wouldnt even entertain anything other than a full size cylinder.

ebay is a real joke for metal, i have a really good supplier about 10 mins from work so im gfortunate, you can always haggle with a pocket full of cash too :) (esp if you dont want a VAT receipt lol)

im finding it ok, im not very good at feeding the filler rod yet and i keep touching the metal with the tungsten but im getting better, it is hard and easy, depends really, sticking 2 pieces of metal that but up is easy, but more complex things are harder as you would expect, not tried alloy as my set is DC only unfortunately, but cant grumble at what i paid for it.

gas can be a problem tho, tig is gas heavy process and i wouldnt even entertain anything other than a full size cylinder.

ebay is a real joke for metal, i have a really good supplier about 10 mins from work so im gfortunate, you can always haggle with a pocket full of cash too :) (esp if you dont want a VAT receipt lol)

Oh right, yeah, i paid a fortune for mine but really wanted the AC option. yeah, they say the filler rod is the hardest bit.
as for gas, i agree, looking into different prices for big bottles. got a BOC distributer near me but they seem pretty expensive.
Il look around for metal suppliers, cash is king eh:)

no matey no pulse setting im afraid lol, it is very hand if you have it :)

@noddie, just re-read your message, no i didnt consider bent runners until i bolted it to the head to take pictures and thought thats going to sit low down, if it does clash with the firewall ill bend them up.

when i looked, boc or air products were both about the same price, but iirc energas were about the cheapest.

Back