Ideas for my K11

does it run along the front of your engine behind the front bumper? if so this is your front crossmember which is a know rust problem, can buy a new one for not that much and replace it

Sorry about the upside down pics lol

Attachments

• 1432818257090.jpg
    1432818257090.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 1432818269691.jpg
    1432818269691.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 215
yea thats your front lower crossmember, can get a brand new one for about 30 quid and swap them over.

as for the rest of your rust get some rust treatment stuff and waxoyl to protect it and slow the rust down

should get another few years out it no bother

Oh I should have mentioned, I did they're all good...really good just need a clean

Attachments

• 1432819119954.jpg
    1432819119954.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 191
Not sure how you'd go about fitting the mirrors but it could definitely be done.

As for steering wheel you may need a boss kit for correct fitting, again not sure of details but I'm sure a bit of research in google would tell you

Because most yanks use automatics and mine is...I might be able to convert it to have an American steering wheel setup with the gear selection on the wheel :)

If its way too much hassle for a novice ill settle for the wheel until I'm better with that sort of stuff. Making my car good looking and tuned to my driving style but to ultimately have it unique to me is my idea...For people to look at it and go wow wtf and to have never seen it before.

wow lol that's unique not a fan of the rear bumper lol but 10/10 regardless!

its something I've been thinking about as my dream car is the impala 67 5 door sports sedan...so having little bits of it in my car would be awesome....shame I couldn't just buy the shell lol

Picture 3 is the front crossmember and indeed it doesnt look great ...if you can poke a screwdriver through it ask a local welder to see if he can patch it because the rest doesnt look too bad .... and if you catch it early enough, the rust can be cut out and patched ...... then waxolyed and will be good for years...
IF it can be patched your looking at about £20-40....... IF its too rotten you can get them replaced for about £100 (garage in Weston quoted me that about 2 years ago)
NOTE .... Some garages will take the p ..... some quote £2-400 ... walk away.
You can buy a new front cross member on fleabay for about £20 and do it your self .... also get two spot weld drill bits because there are about 30 odd spotwelds and the proper drill bits will save you ALOT of time..... took me about 3-4 hours with lots of cups of T ... The new crossmember just bolts on .... i didnt have mine re spotwelded although you are meant to officially .... but i put a coat of waxoyl on mine so no one will ever know its not spot welded ... and to be honest the crossmember is so flimsy i dont see what difference a few spot welds would make .

Other than that and if the sills etc are all as clean .... NOW is the time to buy the waxoyl and give it a damn good coating ...... and if you get the crossmember done your looking at another 5-10 years IF you give it a yearly treatment..... (of course thats as long as the dreaded rust doesnt start from the inside out)

Whether you replace or patch that crossmember IF its holed .... it needs to be addressed and it will fail an MOT if its holed or very weak..... and make sure you coat with waxoyl ...... long term it will save you £££s.

Looks like a very tidy car overall and ALL cross member rust ...unless you wax treated them from new or live in the Sahara.... and exhaust do look like that...might be good for another 2 years .... .. change it when it begins to blow lol :)

Oh I should have mentioned, I did they're all good...really good just need a clean

They look mint ... whats the inner sill like ..... on the other side of the lip of the sill ... all the way down ..... paying attention to the rear sections .... dont stick head under without using axle stands ;)

Back