I broke my car....

Be gentle with the new girl! While poking around under the bonnet of my new (old) car I did this....yeah, clever eh?!

Everyone is telling me they are easy to replace myself so I've tripped off to e bay and have a new tank on the way but need talking through how to actually do it. Idiots guide please, t'internet hasn't really been much help up to now!
IMG_7020[1].JPG

These aren't pressurised and only act as an overflow.

I chucked mine in the bin .

The hose should pull off and there's a couple bolts hiding away

Sent from my OnePlus One with Tapatalk

When I replaced mine, I used a turkey baster to suck out the coolant in the overflow tank. Otherwise it will piss all over you when you remove the connecting hose.
Then I undid the two bolts using a socket set. A cheapy one from Poundland will do.
Taking the rubber connecting hose off the overflow tank was a little more difficult. As skymera states, it may just pull off, but mine had a little plastic toothed clamp holding it on. If yours has this clamp, the trick is to gently squeeze it on the sides with a pair of pliers and use a screwdriver to flip the plastic gripper off.
Take a look at the clamp and you should be able to figure out how it works.
Push hose on new overflow tank, gently squeeze the plastic clamp back on the joint to secure the hose, bolt back in place and refill with coolant to correct level :)

Back