HU Wiring cut

Hi, just purchased a 1996 P Reg Micra 1.0 16v for a cheap run about after i crashed my saxo :(

WHne i purchased the car it had no radio or cage fitted just the ariel cable and the wires that go into your headunit. But the plug had been cut so im just left with aload of wires. I went down to Motor World and expained and they gave me a male ISO (i think) with bare wires on the other end as to wire upto the wires in my car. The main problem is that the colours do not match ! ive seeked forums for hours now and noticed loads have this problem but with the plug but sadly mine is cut :( so i dont have a clue what goes where except a black one which is longer which i guess is the earth and will i then need any additional earthing? please help as im driving to work with no music and a cranky old engine noise.

Ok, have you got an electrical tester? If not a bulb will work.
Touch one side to earth, touch the other side to each wire til you get voltage. Do this with the ignition off. This is the yellow wire, or battery.

Now turn the ignition on, find power again, make sure the power switches off when you turn the ignition off. This is red or ign live.

To find the speakers touch pairs of wires to a 1.5v battery, you will hear a 'pop' this is a speaker.

If you need any more help just ask.

Here ya go:
k11.jpg

ok got the power ect on working fine but on mine it displays "SECURE" so i cant listen to see which ones are the speaks :( but attemping that tommorow took all day ! fuse had gone

no speakers :p

lol went to check what colour went to the speaks to find my car has had them took out :p

bought some new ones from halfords but when i wire them up nothing happens and my kenwood headunit displays "SECURE"

secure means that it's been locked with a security code to stop theft. It is a 4 digit code that needs to be entered before the unit can be used.

Your not having much luck are you!

Do you have a code or anythign for the kenwood headunit? Normally if you leave it turned on for half hour ish it removes the secure lock and gives you an oppurtunity to start entering codes again.

As for the speakers, i'm gulping coz you said halfords - what ones have you bought?

Back