HT Leads (upgrading)

P

Panjabi

Is it worth it?
Has anyone done it?
Easy to do? If so then any step by step available?

Cheers

From what i have read before, unless your ht leads aren't working properly you shouln't bother. Of course if you want to get some different coloured one's for style reasons then go ahead, but unless you have realy high heats under the bonnet (from turboing etc) you don't need realy posh expensive ones.

IF you do go for some new ones I think that it is a good idea to do them one at a time so you make sure the right HT lead goes to the right spark plug. Try not to bend them too much as ht leads don't like bending all that much. Make sure you use the same lenghts as the origonal leads.

upgraded leads are only as good as originals. who ever said uprated plugs improve spark etc want shooting :D as long as theres a connection then there all as good as each other. mr bikers right when he says change them for cosmetic issues tho.....

"The HT Leads

I would advise replacing the HT leads every 50,000 miles to avoid problems. The carbon electrodes break down over time causing a weaker spark and the silicone insulation also ages in the intense heat under the bonnet. This may eventually allow moisture to penetrate and cause all sorts of problems. If you are an electronics whiz you could try measuring the resistance of the HT leads; a new set are in the region of 2000 ohms depending on their length.

Every 6000 miles, I would recommend cleaning the leads with rag damped in turpentine or lighter fuel to make sure all traces of oil and dirt are removed."

What some dude said on the net re: miss fires. ^

I wonder if it is worth it. The second hand k11 I brought is nearing 48k on the clock. Though I havent modded it yet.

The Magnecore site says: make sure it is a tight fit etc.

tommo said:
upgraded leads are only as good as originals. who ever said uprated plugs improve spark etc want shooting :D as long as theres a connection then there all as good as each other. mr bikers right when he says change them for cosmetic issues tho.....

Lest we recall of course though, that the general reason to replace standard plugs with uprated items is when you are changing heat-ranges, ie, if you go Turbo or Supercharged with your Micra.

And in reality, aftermarket plugs are usually made from a superior material (Iridium generally) which has a far higher melting point than conventional or Platinum plugs :)

Back