How many NA screamers out there?

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
There seems to be an emphasis on Micra turbo conversions but what about those hi-revving, NA Micras out there? I know they are thin on the ground but how many are out there in Micra land?

To qualify they must have had some internal mods - cams, pistons, rods etc and of course rev to 7500+. Would include owners of ex-Micra Cup cars and Mulholland specials.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
we have a micra na rally car i wouldnt call it a sceamer but it goes ok, engine wise mods,
exhaust extractors
intake mods
remapped ecu, told buy previous owner
i think NME challenge cams
i dont know what else has been done as we have never pulled the engine apart

CMF_flameboy

» CMF Member
mine is a humble NA... not much atm coz i just started... but im an official track whore :) and will never turbo my micra...

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
great thread!

my mods are as follows

Import cg13 with 15,000ks
GA15 Throttle Body with coolant bypass
GA15 Injectors
Tomei Pon Cams
Custom headers
Apex I SAFC Neo
Advanced timing
2" straight through exhaust
HKS adjustable fuel regulator
custom fuel rail
HKS mushroom pod
Earthing kit
Iridium spark plugs
and 8.8mm leads

watch this space but there will be more to come :)

fred WROTE:

"oh and a .75 for turbo-rollings car...

i think i'm more like .01 :) gimmie a few more weeks, hopefully most of my **** should have arrived from japan by then... personally, i'd rather have a pshyco n/a as a fun car then a stupidly fast turbo car.. but... then there's the pleasure of screaming past much bigger and much more powerful cars in something that looks so shopping trolley spec., so i'll have both... one day.. maybe, lol

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Nissanmania WROTE:

"There seems to be an emphasis on Micra turbo conversions but what about those hi-revving, NA Micras out there? I know they are thin on the ground but how many are out there in Micra land?<BR><BR>To qualify they must have had some internal mods - cams, pistons, rods etc and of course rev to 7500+. Would include owners of ex-Micra Cup cars and Mulholland specials.

There are plenty in the UK, although the majority of them are from the rallying world. With regard to modifications none of them replace the rods, just high compression pistons, head work and cams. Most of them make maximum power below 8000rpm also, as they are more about useable torque than maximum bhp, hence the timings of the 773cams.

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
i got a rally spec set up.

janspeed back box + manifold
ported and polished head + skimmed by 0.5mm
accralite pistons
polished conrods
lightened and polished crank
custom cams (from a nissan dealer)
1.5 injectors + throttle body
rally induction kit

that’s just the eng.. there’s lots more

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
GT WROTE:

"i got a rally spec set up.<BR><BR>janspeed back box + manifold<BR>ported and polished head + skimmed by 0.5mm<BR>accralite pistons<BR>polished conrods<BR>lightened and polished crank<BR>custom cams (from a nissan dealer)<BR>1.5 injectors + throttle body<BR>rally induction kit<BR><BR>that’s just the eng.. there’s lots more<BR>

nice set up GT, got a power reading on that?

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
sorry no i got lots an lots of pics tho.....
i just finished it a collage on monday.
i think it will be in next week and then of to get it remapped....

there is more to come as i want a Stainless Steel manifold and all the was back.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I'd agree with you Turbo, it would be nice to have one of each in the garage to play with - who knows what might happen one day?

SSUK, I'd say the standard rods, though feeble looking, seem to be up to the task in a NA project and even alot of turbo cars provided you don't go overboard with boost. Aftermarket ones just give a bit more reassurance that the whole lot doesn't end in a pile of twisted metal.

The UK would be rich pickings for NA Micras with the number rallying and I'm impressed with the results achieved. These videos are my NA inspiration:
and

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
lets see if i can spell this right... the pistons are accralite and the corn rods are standard but have been polished on the sides.
all my parts have came from a nissan dealer that enters in rallys.
the cc is 1430cc and the compression ratio is 11.4:1

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Yup, your spelling is correct lol. Matt is very good for parts, I'm due to place another order with him this week for the next stage of build. We're speccing up a CGA3, forged pistons, slightly higher on the compression as around 12:1, 773 cams and a custom head. The heads are still being developed with the CGA3's, as their use is still somewhat new compared to the CG13's.

Your calculations for capacity are a little optimistic though, the Accralite pistons are 0.145mm overbore, which takes the capacity from the standard 1348cc upto approximately 1353cc.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
how much would a engine cost including parts to make say 70FWKW and what would need to be done. I guess TB injectors fuel pump cams exhaust anything else to get the power i want out of NA

sikK11 WROTE:

"how much would a engine cost including parts to make say 70FWKW and what would need to be done. I guess TB injectors fuel pump cams exhaust anything else to get the power i want out of NA

well, considering that sodaniel made 64.5kw, id say only slightly bigger of what he had.. i reckon with the following you'd get very close if not more:
decent extractors +zorst
bigger throttle body then ga15.. something around the 60mmish
whatever airflow meter, something nissan spec
ga15 injectors
a programmable computer, not an safc, something that can do timing aswell
cams, either pon cams, or anything equal to or bigger then 256" duration

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i've been told u can get 5kw from making absolutely sure that vacuum is maintained within the head (within the oil galleries) and a oil catch can will help too, since oil vapour will lower octane rating of fuel... Speaking of much improved breathing...Turbo-march is working on a neat setup.... how's that going?

fred WROTE:

"i've been told u can get 5kw from making absolutely sure that vacuum is maintained within the head (within the oil galleries) and a oil catch can will help too, since oil vapour will lower octane rating of fuel... Speaking of much improved breathing...Turbo-march is working on a neat setup.... how's that going?

yeh,.. i was gonna say that an oil catch can would improve power,. but i didn't want to start ****.. alot of people have different views on em, i think.. they work.. improved breathing... ehh, don't get me started, i'm getting there.. having trouble finding the right die grinding bit, i can't get one long enough to get to where i want it to go.. so for now its been put on the i'll do it later pile. :( but.. when my parts get here from japan, i'll be enthusiastic again.. started work on the rolling shell again but.. :) just doing little bits and pieces.

me and gtrholic were discussing this the other day.. we came to the conclusion that even thou the ga15 tb is a good easy bolt on upgrade, there's a pretty big difference from that to a bigger one again, ie, sr20 tb. but, it'd be a fair bit of ****in around to make an adaptor plate, etc.

on the 70fwkw topic, ... lets not forget that every dyno is different, and just because sodan's car made 64.5kw doesn't mean it would on every other dyno,... unfortunetly.. do some research.. take it to the highest reading dyno in town :D

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

yeh,.. i was gonna say that an oil catch can would improve power,. but i didn't want to start ****.. alot of people have different views on em, i think.. they work.. improved breathing... ehh, don't get me started, i'm getting there.. having trouble finding the right die grinding bit, i can't get one long enough to get to where i want it to go.. so for now its been put on the i'll do it later pile. :(

i have seen some extra long porting tools on ebay, but havnt had a look lately. I know that nepean boltmaster can order long ones in for you but they are in sydney and probly cost a bit..

hmm.. i'll check it out.. just went to trade tools/black woods, etc. they have long ones but only in steel/stainless variety, i need the ally ones.. but they only got em 3'' long i think.. i need something like 7'' *cough*.. the grinding bit :)

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"hmm.. i'll check it out.. just went to trade tools/black woods, etc. they have long ones but only in steel/stainless variety, i need the ally ones.. but they only got em 3'' long i think.. i need something like 7'' *cough*.. the grinding bit :)

7" thats long.. not sure if the ones in boltmaster were for alloy..

sportsclassic WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"alluminium ones only have a few slits in em.. steel/stainless look like a porkupine (spelling?) echidna"</DIV><BR><BR>yeh i had a few cheap bunnings ones didnt last long but.<BR>i found the nepean boltmaster web site <A title=http://www.nepbolt.com.au href="http://www.nepbolt.com.au" target=_blank>www.nepbolt.com.au</A><BR>not sure if it helps but.

cool.. sent em a message, see what happens

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

Your calculations for capacity are a little optimistic though, the Accralite pistons are 0.145mm overbore, which takes the capacity from the standard 1348cc upto approximately 1353cc.

what calculation did you do for that?
so is yours a rally eng or road.

what has others got?

thanks greig

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Well the standard engine is 72.0mm bore, with an 82.8mm stroke. Simple areas of cylinders works that out to be 1348cc's. Sub in the new bore, approx 72.145, (plus a little for piston to wall clearance), works out to be 1354 if I correct myself lol.

I have several engines to play with but the final engine, which is on a much bigger budget is a CGA3 as detailed in my last post......I guess I would call it a fast road/rally engine due to the cam profiles not being very wild. I prefer useable torque as opposed to absolute top end power anyway, plus it means I can still retain driveability and use standard gear ratios.....although saying that they could use a little tweaking......when I have more time ;)

With regards to others, there's plenty of variants in the rally world. 1275cc CG13's, 1312cc CG13's which run the CGA3 crank for a little more displacement, and the later full on 1354cc CGA3's, which are preferred due to their increased torque. There may even be a special crank made at some stage to get them to the edge of the 1400cc class limit, so every last bit can be rung out of the engines......

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
you havent accounted for the clearance volume tho.
i got 357.5 per cylinder therefore 1430cc. i had 400ml of oil a filled the cylinder with it at bdc so what is left in the mishearing jug you take away for 400ml and thats whats inside.

i hope may standard conrods will take 11.4:1 do you know if anyone has done this.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
This volume is considered 'dead volume' anyway. An engine's displacement is defined by it's swept volume and it's an important factor in setting the static compression ratio of the engine.

Now that you've mentioned the method for measuring your 'displacement' your static compression ratio calcs could be out if you based them on the cylinder volume stated rather than the actual swept volume.

At any rate, 11.4:1 will be fine on standard rods :)

CMF_Madrabbit

» CMF Member
We've just had our Micra rally car rolling road setup - 93.9hp at the wheels which we're pleased with.

We have a standard bottom end and standard head about 100000 miles on it (it just won't give up).
Emerald K3 Engine Management.
Tomei Cams.
Suzuki GSXR 600 throttle bodies.
Standard Micra 1.3 injectors with the GSXR injectors.
Ford Zetec Ignition coil.
Custom Leads.
NME Janspeed Manifold with home built system.
Lightened Micra flywheel.

Straight cut close ratio gearbox gives us 0-60mph in about 7 seconds and tops out at about 102mph and 7500rpm

We've yet to test it since it was on the rolling road, but our first rally this year is on the 20th April.

Picture is early on in the build.

Attachments

• 34170.jpg
    34170.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
bump... I'm trying to stick to a basic powerup, maybe a little bit more with flywheel, adjustable panhard.

Nissanmania is local, I'd like to see your car in action if you're still putting it through hill climbs and motorkhanas.

Back