How does one go about making clear head light covers for the k11

CMF_Jas

» CMF Member
Okay if you really want to waste some time and money...haha... I used to work for one of the global OEM's that make them for all major manufacturers.

Quality OEM ones are all vacuum formed thermoplastic - generally a material called ABS. Polycarbonate is also sometimes used.

What happens when the big boys do it is timber molds are CNC machined that are almost the shape of the headlights of the car in question. I say 'almost' as they are different in that they feature areas for the tabs and attachments. This male part has very small air holes all over it especially in negative shape areas. This allows air to suction the plastic to the shape as a "vacuum". Then a negative mold is CNC machined that when fitted with the Male part has a gap of just the right amount for the heated plastic.

The plastic is CNC cut to perfect shape and any decals are screen printed at this stage. The plastic is baked to an exact temperature and then layed over the male mold, the female part is then placed on top and the two clamped together with some quick clips. The two parts sit over a vacuum apparatus which sucks through the tiny holes in the part to ensure a perfect fit. It cools and then it is removed to then be quickly polished andput in a bag with some clips for delivery to the OEM.

NOW...

If you want to do it yourself you need to go to a plastic wholesale place - there are retailers in every state - and ask for 2mm clear ABS - or be completely nube and tell them you want to make headlight protectors.

Then cut them to shape with enough extra to poke around the headlight.

Then heat your oven to about 180deg and wait until it goes all "floppy".

Make sure you have oven gloves on or you will burn yourself nicely. Then remove the plastic and place it straight over the top of the headlight and press down firmly all over it. Once cooled it will come straight off and you can trim it with a rotary tool. I have no idea how you will mount it - maybe make up some dodgy clips?

Now this will NOT actually work very well as the headlight shape is a compound curve so the plastic will distort and warp, however it will as close as you can get without doing it 'properly'. It will most definitely look really bad!

This does work though for small things like headlight 'eyebrows'.

My opinion...

Don't waste your time and money, they look **** and don't do anything. It is a sales gimmick. Sure a glass headlight may break on the rare occasion, but just go and buy a new one!

If you want one go to Nissan and ask. Otherwise don't bother.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Seriously don't waste your money, last 3 cars I have bought came with them, all got pulled and thrown in the pile under my house.

In terms of safety they are borderline, legal yes, but when tested they often cut like 20% of your lighting power, add in some age and I know some can kill double that in lighting power, it's just not good.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Never once had issues with the Nissan OEM headlight protectors with regard to loss of illumination. Sure the headlights can get dirty but they get just as dirty without them, especially on the heavily salted roads here in the UK.

Having poorly cleaned headlights is laziness on the drivers part and cars should be checked before each journey anyway from a road safety perspective, (lights front and rear, number plates, tyres, fluids etc), these are all the driver's responsibility to maintain.

Where we live stones fly up all the time and either get your lights or windscreen. They save your headlights, I'm on my 3rd windscreen in the last 5 years and I broke my drivers side headlight protector one a month back, didn't replace it this time and now have a chip in my drivers headlamp which goes straight through the glass to the inside and is an immediate MOT / REGO fail, so it's new headlight and new protector for me plus a spare set in the trunk.

They're cheap even from the dealers and save the hassle of having to replace a headlamp if the conditions dictate the need for them.

Back