How can i increase performance on 1.0 micra ??

i have a used micra, m reg 16v 1.0 wave that i got from an auction. it has done 83,000 miles but i suspect it has done more than that as the mileage dials are not lined up perfectly and i was told that that is a sign that it has had the clock wound back

anyway the car drives fine but it is slowish in first/second gear. as i havent drove this model of micra before i dont know if they are all like that or if it has lost compression in the engine, or if something else is wrong

is there a way of improving performance without spending a fortune ?
any tips, tricks or tweeks i can make to the overall performance ?

thanks in advance

1.3 transplants are pretty easy and cheap. :) Make a world of difference too. Not alot you can do with the 1.0l that will make much difference really without spending mega bucks.

if i had a 1.0 id strip it out completly, no carpet, no rear seats, no headlinging and no door cards or plastic trim. so that your only leaft with the dash bored and driver and passanger seats! it would be right fun to drive and a bit quicker on 0-60 times! then id put a janspeed performance manifold on, a cat back exhaust or just a backbox and an airfilter. to make it handle a bit better id put some 35mm lowering springs on and a front upper strut barce.

Lowerd suspenion i.e 35mm on front and back....fornt upper strut brace.....rear panhod bar....forced inducion system liek a viper or evo sport canister...and the janspd 2 inch exhasut system from a 4-2-1 manifold to back box excluding both cats!

if i had a 1.0 id strip it out completly, no carpet, no rear seats, no headlinging and no door cards or plastic trim. so that your only leaft with the dash bored and driver and passanger seats! it would be right fun to drive and a bit quicker on 0-60 times! then id put a janspeed performance manifold on, a cat back exhaust or just a backbox and an airfilter. to make it handle a bit better id put some 35mm lowering springs on and a front upper strut brace.

this is exactly what i have but mines is de-catted :)

well once you have a cat back exhaust, air filter and janspeed manifold, you could get some 1.3 cams or uprated cams. then have it re-mapped. as far as iam aware thats about it lol. after all this is should be pushing out around 80-90bhp or about 100bhp or more! but iam not sure. why not put a 1.3 engine in and do all these mods? it will be near engugh double the power and accelration. plus it will only cost you around £50 to get a 1.3 engine and gearbox!

well once you have a cat back exhaust, air filter and janspeed manifold, you could get some 1.3 cams or uprated cams. then have it re-mapped. as far as iam aware thats about it lol. after all this is should be pushing out around 80-90bhp or about 100bhp or more! but iam not sure. why not put a 1.3 engine in and do all these mods? it will be near engugh double the power and accelration. plus it will only cost you around £50 to get a 1.3 engine and gearbox!

thats chinese to me mate ! i can change a cylinder head on an old nissan cherry but thats about the height of my car skills :grinning:

if i had a 1.0 id strip it out completly, no carpet, no rear seats, no headlinging and no door cards or plastic trim. so that your only leaft with the dash bored and driver and passanger seats! it would be right fun to drive and a bit quicker on 0-60 times! then id put a janspeed performance manifold on, a cat back exhaust or just a backbox and an airfilter. to make it handle a bit better id put some 35mm lowering springs on and a front upper strut barce.

Yep nearly done manifold next month, sorry off topic but whats the fastest 1/4 mile time for a N/a 1.0?? Was 18.4 as i was getting 19.6 with a slaughtered maf.

Santa pod! :grinning: Its not the winning that counts........ well actually thats most of it, itll be alot of fun as theres no one down here (that doesnt where a cap of think that big spoilers rule) that actually loves there micra (or is it just me??).

give us some clues where to find a 1.3 engine and box, i love my little micra its got the best reg plate ever and to be beaten by it in a race would be embarassing, its got SHE on the end, with it being seen as a girly car it makes me more determined to make it quick

you could get a 1.3 engine and box from a scrapyard. if not just look out on ebay or in the buy and sell section on here, somone maybe breaking a 1.3.

Santa pod! :grinning: Its not the winning that counts........ well actually thats most of it, itll be alot of fun as theres no one down here (that doesnt where a cap of think that big spoilers rule) that actually loves there micra (or is it just me??).

where exactly is santa pod?? :glance:

Santa Pod is about 400-450 miles from Dundee mate. There are only 3 official permanent drag strips in England as far as I know, York, Shakespeare and Pod. Pod is the poshest and you get to see the most advanced cars usually, York is the quietest so you get much more runs, and Shakespeare (apparently) is about .2 of a second quicker than either of the others due to the high sides on either side that act as a wind tunnel and the fact that Pod goes slightly uphill near the end.

If I was you I would stick to Scotland's Crail though. 6 hours to Pod isn't worth it if you want to race your car there, it gets well busy and usually you'll only get 2-4 runs even if you are queuing for the entirity of the day. I go to Pod and York a bit with a mate of mine...all I know is that I'd be annoyed if I knew I had to perform a 12 hour return trip in a Micra, when i go with my mate we're in a 400hp Ẽfini and we only have a 100-150 miles to travel so the journey is more fun lol

That's what I mean. The RWYB days at Pod good fun, but are crap if you really wanna test your car, and expensive. York is cheaper to get in and you can often get 20 runs in.

okies heres another query... what performance parts will transfer over from the 1.0 too the cg13 engine?? i don't wanna tune my 1.0 a little just too waste money... i don't think i could afford the insurance of an engine swap at the moment... obviously i mean the engine parts... any help would be greatly appreciated

cams are diffrent, box, driveshafts, crank, pistons, flywheel and some other bits. the engines are the same lay out as each other.

Yeah, aftermarket cams will transfer over, you might also want to use the 1l acc pulley as it is lighter.

this 1.3 converssion sounds like a good idea i was wondering if any one could help me do a converssion it wouldnt be till summer because of money?
if any one would want to and knows what there doing that would be great i live in bath if anyones near that area please mail me at
[email protected] so we can disguss this
cheers

lol japanese cars rock, theres a modern trend of bottom end swaps increasing power and capacity... does any1 know of such a mod for our mighty micra's???

this 1.3 converssion sounds like a good idea i was wondering if any one could help me do a converssion it wouldnt be till summer because of money?
if any one would want to and knows what there doing that would be great i live in bath if anyones near that area please mail me at
[email protected] so we can disguss this
cheers

I might be able to, will send you a mail later on :)

this mite not be right but hear it goes. the 1.3 crank will fit the 1.0 and on 1.0 pistons it will have higher compression ratio so mite be quicker then the 1.3. if you leave the 1.0 gearbox you’ll have quicker acceleration as well. with new cams, induction, exhaust and remapped it would be a killer..

It will if you use the 1l fly etc, how long it last, however, is a different matter, also from 98> they shared transmission so you don't have the headache that comes from putting a 1.3 box on a 1l car.

i have a 95 micra so the gear box will be staying in it for the time being... i just want some mods that i can carry over too the 1.3 engine should i decide to swap engines... although it is proving difficult too try and find one... i've been round a whole lot of scrap yards and all i'm finding is 1L... should i need a spare for my car at least i know where there's loads of engines :p... anyways i might aswell go down the standard breathing mods, then cams and a remap... but before i put any more power too those tiny front wheels i need some decent suspension... its like driving on a sponges atm... well not that soft but its not exactly gonna do mega G's in the corners... that performance micra website needs to sort its links out theres loads of 404 errors... most annoying

its insuring it tho... my 1L is killing me enough as it is!!! and the front suspension is knocking under acceleration and braking... not even hard accel or braking juts knocks when its loaded... hope my wheels don't fall off

It could well be a knackered roll bar link, have you had a look under the car?
Ask your insurance co. how much more it would be to insure a 1.3, often it is not a lot more

yeah its the anti-roll bar knocking... i'll sort it at weekend when i get paid... thought it was gonna be something serious like a ball joint!!! my insurance is £1500 at the moment and i don't really wanna pay anymore than that... i just drove my dads 306xsi and i want stiff suspension, instead of the marshmallows mines fitted with

found a 1.3 for breaking any other parts that i could use on my 1L for a bit of extra OOOMPH???

Back