Horizontal Rear Wiper :/

Saw a few people doing this and decided to have a go! Managed to get the motor out no problem! And from what I can tell is moddable. However I don't know how to get into the motor casing to do the mod :( There are no screws or bolts! Anyone done this?
Its a Celebration K11 :D Cheers :D

Oh, and there are two types of motors, one with a condenser (newer, for face-lifts) and without it. Just take the condenser out if you are using that motor on a pre-facelift or it will burn the fuse. And the easy way to do the mod is rotating 180º the disc inside...

All you need to do is drill the holes out slightly after taking it apart and pop along to a DIY store or motor factor and buy some M5 nuts and bolts and make the assembly easy and permanent. Trim them to length after bolting together with a junior hacksaw.

Jeff

Theres a disc inside with a metal dowel. Im sure you have to remove this and fit it in the same position 180 degrees away and refit it. Someone help the man, im not 100% on this info

just redrill the post and put it on the other side of the motor, much easier IMO

Nex, do you mind if we put up here the pictures from your guide to help the man?

I would have done it, but realized it's up to you to do that :p

fo sho, i don't mind, i just cant be assed to go through it all myself when i went to the effort of making a guide so i wouldn't have to lol

horizontal Rear wiper mod
Here is a guide to show you how you can mod your rear wiper motor so that the wiper blade stops horizontally. this will make your car look cool and add at least 35Bhp sorry for the crappy pics

ok so you will need:

1 Wiper motor
1 Hacksaw for hacking
1 Drill
2 drill bits (one small and one large)
1 kitchen knife
8 screws or rivets etc...
and aprox 1 hour of free time

First of all take the wiper motor and look at it admire its beauty and simplicity...
9-PICT0126.JPG

After looking at it for tem minutes you will have noticed that there are rivets on the back that are preventing you from gaining access to the juicy innards. So grab your drill and fit the small drill bit which is about the same width as the screws or rivets you have for reattaching the cover. now drill out the rivets and don't stop drilling until you have gone all the way through

2-PICT0127.JPG

Now you can pull it apart and arrange the insides like a haynes manual.

4-PICT0129.JPG

now the tricky bit. you will now need to use your brain! remove the white cog from the unit and using some pliers, pull out the crank pin.

18-PICT0131.JPG

your fingers should now be covered in grease First prise off the metal contacts on the back of the wheel using the kitchen knife then you will have to change the drill bit in the drill for the large one which is the same width as the crank pin. try to make sure you get exactly the same width because it holds the pin better. Now the most important bit, drill a hole as close to the opposite side of the wheel as possible. you will find that the drill falls into a recess on the wheel but it doesn't matter too much. now drill that hole!

15-PICT0132.JPG

right, i bet you thought you were nearly done? well your not you will have to cut off the plastic bit that surrounds the hole where the pin was. use your hacksaw and cut it as close to the base as possible without damaging the wheel. the reason for this is that the arm that joins the crank pin with the wiper arm hits this plastic bit as it goes round... You must cut this off because i didn't realise first time and when i put the motor back together and tried it it jammed and started smoking!!!

11-PICT0133.JPG

see the plastic thing is now cut.
move it over to the other side off the wheel and place the crank pin in its new hole, make sure you don't push the pin all the way through because you don't want it to make contact with the metal contacts on the bottom.

16-PICT0134.JPG

This shows the inderside of the wheel with the contacts next to it. notice the pin is now in place in its new location and is not sooo far through the hole that it will touch the contacts.

8-PICT0135.JPG

Here is a top view showing the pin in its new location with the plastic ring around it. Next re-attach the metal contacts to the back by pushing them into place and making sure they are flat. now all you have to do is put it back together

15-PICT0136.JPG

then you will need to put the metal cover back on and bolt it down with some bolts... i got lazy and used rivets instead but you should use bolts with washers so that condensation doesn't get into the motor.

19-PICT0137.JPG

see the new rivets.

now install the motor in your car and give it a test wipe. don't attach the wiper arm yet! after the first wipe the motor should be in its "park" possition. you can now attach the wiper arm. i have found that after the first wipe with the wiper arm on the blade stops about an inch lower than when you attached it. so attach the arm about an inch above the horizontal line and then give it another test wipe. hopefully it should stop at a perfect horizontal level

hope you find this guide useful any comments are welcome

Now, thanks to Nex, you have a good answer to your question :)(Y)

apart from the crappy pics lol, that must have been my old 1megapixel camera of shame!

Alex, if you are not a DIY man, you better pass it to someone else to do it for you. We've done Kalata's wiper and followed the quide. It got a bit tricky at some point but we got around it. So... be careful
Good luck!

Cheers guys! :D I'll tread carefully! hehe. Next door neighbor used to work for Rolls Royce so may ask him for help :L I'll keep y'all updated :D

Back