(high lift cams) just a few questions.

Well i was at college today and got onto the discussion with my tutor about cams, i had a search through here and a quick glance on the internet but cannot find any difinitive answers.
so i was just wondering what sort of gains would i get from high lift cams?? also how can reprofiled cams be any better because i guess that you would have to remove material from the cam shaft making the lobes smaller there for decreasing the duration of wich the valves are open ??? and how would i go about figuring out how much lift/duratio i can achieve before the valves hit the pistons or any other problems? my mate could build some at work so what would i need to know and take into account ???

cheers in advance guys

they remove material from the base circle chris, not the lobe
and its duration that can cause contact, not lift
oh, and its DUCT tape not duck tape lol :p

Attachments

• SDC11746.JPG
    SDC11746.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 535
oh right thought it was duct , shouldve known that seeing as im a level 3 automotive student also that picture helps alot frank, just looking to improve my knowledge (Y) so any info would be appriciated. once again cheers

oh right thought it was duct , shouldve known that seeing as im a level 3 automotive student also that picture helps alot frank, just looking to improve my knowledge (Y) so any info would be appriciated. once again cheers

Lol a good level 3 mechanic would know it's duct tape, should be more than used to the stuff by now! Two most important mechanic tools duct tape and wd40
If it moves and it's not suposed to duct tape it, if it's ment to move and doesn't wd40 :)
We once covered a lads car in duct tape when I was a level 3 he wasn't impressed especially when it took his paint off

3rd tool thats got to be had the HAMMER if the tape and lube fails
(remember you just showed your wheels the hammer and they straighten'd up themselfs)

Back