HELP with getting apart outer CV joint

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
i thought cisco had an article on the site about opening up cv's :(. my problem is i cant get the outerpart to seperate from the shaft. i know there is a c-clip midway on the spline, but i can't get pop past. any ideas? (i dont have a bench vice) i have tried rebolting the cv into the hub from the outside and yanking like a champion, but no success,

cheers all

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Have you removed the large round circlip that is tucked away inside the CV housing??

If not? Wipe all the grease out of the way and feel just inside the edge of the housing's open end. You will see a very large round circlip tucked in there hiding away. You can pop it out with something pointy.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
hmmm, interesting...heh :p taaa

furthermore, the reason for this dismantling of the car tonight > was a nasty grating grinding noise flet through the passenger footwell. In a straight line or turning this occurs, I thought it at first was a broken engine mount, so i bought another and foound that mind was fine. Then i suspected a worn inner LH cv joint, so i got another LH CV shaft. I have pulled out the old one to find it inno apparent damaged condition, i have since unbolted the caliper and then tightened the stud nuts on the brake disc. I can't wiggle the brake disc laterally (in/out) but i can move it / wiggle it a good 1mm and hear an audable knock-knock noise. could this cause such a nasting grating / grinding noise through the passenger footwell? (i dont feel anything through the steering wheel)

i didnt suspect the wheel bearing as i thought the made an whorrrrrrrrrr / howling noise increaseing with speed, but i've been informed that on hubs that have driveshafts running in them they often dont do this ??? (maybe the rear bearings do>)

cheers,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well this clunk noise from the wheel bearing, i just realised its the same noise that i thought was the steering rack. Looks like the clunk noise i thought was me steering rack is the wheel bearing. And the grindin grating noise that gets abit worse when warm, must be the hub bearing. w000 i hope this gets everything finally sorted.

so these wheel bearings? how do they come out? looks like some kind of hydrolic press is required?

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well, its all major confusious. dun wanna think about it anymore. car is back together with no new parts on it. going to pull it down again next week, will post up what the deal was...once i figure out what the deal is

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
"Fortunately you can check to see which joint it is, inboard or outboard. To do this you drive the car in a couple of driving states one of which is at normal driving speed and listen for a rumbling noise that is affected by changes in suspension travel IE going over slow humps or long bumps if you can relate to that just check for a change in the rumble or noise ( similar to bearings) on suspension travel changes. If there is you need to jack the car up and feel the wheel bearings for slack and spin the wheel and listen to it for noise from the outer if there is it is probably wheel bearing noise if not and you have the rumbling noise you may have a worn inboard C.V. joint. "

found that quote on the pulsar forums, going to give what he says a try,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
okay, whent for a drive to get bearings / cv's nice and hot. got back, jacked up front end. Absolutly no play in hub/wheel bearing and no worn bearing noise when spinning it. Conclusion...its definatly the inboard CV as i first suspected, so I will make one cv of two on monday,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
there is only access to one avail split ring, and taking it off would only let me slide it on more :(, i think i need too put it in a vice and give the centre of the cv a good belt with a hammer and piece of drift, cept i dont have bench vice or piece of drift :p

just clarifying, this is the outer cv joint im trying to remove,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
So you found the large diameter piece of wire kind of clip ring snugly tucked inside the housing?

When I was removing my CVs, I also kept trying to belt them apart at first, but found once you remove the clip ring, it basically falls apart.

So you've got that one off already?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
i can only see one c-clip, it is very heavy duty and goes around the splined shaft. It stops the cv part sliding further onto the shaft. I think its impossible to remove myself, unless you had it all apart apart from it, even then its just too heavy duty. We are talking about the outer CV here? not the inner? i have read online that there is a c-ring that collapses behind the ball and cage(like the one on the gearbox input spline) when you hit the inner part of the cv to allow it too slide off the splined shaft?

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
i think your referring too the large clip that is on the inner tripod joint?

marked blue...

marked yellow... is the outer ball and cage joint, with the small clip hidden behind the ball and cage assey,

Alex

Attachments

• 11088.gif
    11088.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 35

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
To get the outer c.v joint off, you need to get the shaft in a vice (with soft jaws, pieces of alloy over the jaws does the trick) with the outer joint facing down at a slight angle. Remove the boot. Hold onto the outer joint and with a SOFT faced hammer strike the back of the joint, hammer the joint away from the shaft. If it won't move rotate the shaft around to a different spot (on the circlip). Make sure you pull the joint away from the shaft as you stike. If it won't move, it may have to be pressed off (sometimes the circlip jam) which can damage the shaft

Attachments

• 11115.jpg
    11115.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
thanks lads. Haven't done any more yet. Went for drive yesterday as passenger to listen too this noise. Well, after about 30min is finally made some feint rubling at low speed. Gee i really don't know hey. It happens while low speed cornering. Can the differential in the gearbox do weird rumbling things?

Alex

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
does anybody have any tips for removing the passenger side cv? i cant seem to pull it out like the other side, feels as though something is holding it in.

had a look at alexs pic above but dont know what im looking at

any help appreciated

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You mean removing it from the gearbox?

Thats the easy part. Get a levering device and slot it in between the gearbox casing and the shaft. Be careful to not put it where the seal surface/cradle thing is though. Just takes a slight amount of pressure and it should pop right out.

Back