Help or recommendation reqd GUILDFORD

S

sussexpellett

Daughter (at uni) ran her tank near to dry, now has intermittant loss of power. Changed fuel filter. Still same problem.
I'm thinking debris in fuel line as most likely, vent blockage, leaky air hose or bad electrical connection on a sensor, as other possibilities.
She could take out fuel pump, look for crud, blow down hoses and spray WD40on connector blocks (which is more than most dance students would) but how do you rate her chances of cure?
If it's low, can you recommend a cheap(ish) mechanic in Guildford?
If you think you know the problem/cure, your right and it's not too expensive, there's free drink in it for you.
If it's high, she'll get her hands dirty.

(93 K11 1.0 manual)
Cheers
Chris
(89 K10 Pao!)

How intermittent is intermittent, i mean, can you do say 10 miles on it or are we talking just yards up the road. My first thought was air in the system, stopping fuel getting through. Happened on my brothers Carolla not long ago.

Tank almost dry, filled up 40 miles okay. Next day 4 miles serious problem (A3 rush hour 20mph tops) Changed fuel filter 4 2 mile trips no problem. Next day, hurtle along A3, 4 miles, oh ####, gotta stop. Advised her to try taking off fuel filler cap in case there was a vent blockage causing a vacuum. Car started again and made it to destination (20 miles) loss of power coming and going. 6 hours later 24 miles return with no problem at all.
Is checking the pump the next obvious step?

Ooh I like this automatic censoring lets try using 1 instead of i:
####

Blimey thats clever

Fuel and Pump

Fordy,
I think you're right: I've checked the Pump, and fuel seems to be the hot topic at the moment.
Slight correction on what happened, seems she didn't fill up and travel 40 miles before a problem. Only had a fiver so travelled 40 miles on that, THEN filled up, problem was within 4 miles of fill up.
NOT Tescos but SHELL Woodbgridge Hill, Guildford. Feb. 9th
They say no one else has reported a problem, but they did shut up shop for the next week! (coincidence?).
Looks like the tank has to be drained next.

thanks for your help,
Chris
PS is there a data base of garages alledgedly affected by dodgy petrol?

The problems with the fuel are effecting oxygen sensors. As K10's dont have these, then i dont think fuel itself would be the problem? Unless you have a ECC engine. It might be effected

Update: CURED! Drained tank (syphoned from pump access panel) refilled with Optimax - no difference.
Lambda sensor was giving a voltage and couldn't get a replacement anyway.
Friend did the ECU code check and came up with an unrecognised code number.
Resoldered throttle position terminals as described on Aussie site - still no change.
Replaced inlet temperature sensor - YES, that was the one! runs perfect again.
Thanks for the various advice, my Daughters a happy bunny again!

Good stuff sounds like a nice piece of diagnosic work there :)

Back