Hello.. ..and farewell?

Mark Johnston

Buy & Sell Member
Hi everyone, yup, I'm new!

I've had my 'lil green pea' for 8 years and only now found this site!

Will I join the gang or cast a wistful look over my shoulder as I, er, cycle(?) into the distance...?

...for here's my dilemma:

My ageing apple green 120,000 mile '98 Micra 1275 GX Auto is poised for the scrap heap (front cross member needs replacing for MOT and transmission noisy in reverse), but having been its friend for 8 years am reluctant to let it go.

I'm told the transmission is going to cost more than it's worth, but not sure whether to fix it or will someone else be able to give it a reprieve?

Advice please.

Have you any (polite) suggestions?

Many thanks fwn

Mark

not sure how easy it is to convert it to manual, but ya should be able to pick an engine and box up for about £150 or less.....x,member any where from £10-£50

welcome to the club mark

I seem to remember reading if the autobox becomes noisy its the metallic belts (expensive)...though not sure if it would only do it in reverse... :S (it does still have oil in to level or was changed as per specs, yeah?)

If the electro clutch is still spot on no error codes and the car still moves lol...you could get an auto box that works but has ran out of clutch powder and just switch them over, wouldnt have thought an autobox would be that ridiculous on its own.

crossmembers a doddle though.

hi mark :) , a manual g/box conversion is an option eh, where abouts are you ?

Thanks for the suggestion, which I hadn't thought of, although not sure whether paying someone else to do it would make it cost effective (I have no skills in that area unfortunately!)...

...the car is in Somerset.

I seem to remember reading if the autobox becomes noisy its the metallic belts (expensive)...though not sure if it would only do it in reverse... :S (it does still have oil in to level or was changed as per specs, yeah?)

If the electro clutch is still spot on no error codes and the car still moves lol...you could get an auto box that works but has ran out of clutch powder and just switch them over, wouldnt have thought an autobox would be that ridiculous on its own.

crossmembers a doddle though.

Same problem with labour costs as above posts(?)... but will check it out. Thanks.

Do you know if LUCAS TRANSMISSION FIX any good? Just seen an ad for it. Might give it a bit more life?

If it stops working then get a new gearbox, noises mean nothing :D. Its rare that you reverse compared to the ammount of forwards driving you do.

If it stops working then get a new gearbox, noises mean nothing :D. Its rare that you reverse compared to the ammount of forwards driving you do.

Thanks, that makes sense. My concern is that the noise in reverse means that the gearbox has not long to go (I have no way of telling whether this is the case or not).

So my question was whether it makes money sense to get a new gearbox, bearing in mind the cost of fitting it and the value of the car (which I don't really know about).

If you cant fit it yourself, it will be cheaper to buy a new micra. A garage would probably charge £350 + price of the gearbox, which you can probably pick up a nice k11 for.

I've not a lot of cash so may give LUCAS TRANSMISSION FIX a go to see if it makes it a bit healthier and worth MOTing. Any ideas what I'd get for it as is?

Hey Mark, If you do need a manual gearbox theres one sitting in my shed unloved that you can have. dont want much for it only about #30. If not good luck with the fix!

That's very kind Joe but I will have to say no as I don't have the facilities (or skills!) to do any work on it.

Do you think any of the other members would be interested, its a GX 1.3, in not bad condition (front cross member needs replacing).

Wondering what I could get for it?

Your Blog's brilliant btw!

Back