Heater Problems

Hope somebody can help?

My heater blows on all fan speeds fine but the heater only gets slightly warmer from the cold setting as I increase the heat setting.

the heater is dependant on the engine gettin up to operating temperature. if the engines warm, it might be the heater matrix valve not opening fully.

when you turn the controls to "hot", a cable link moves a baffle to divert air through the heater matrix while also moving the valve which controls the flow of coolant from the engine through the matrix. If the linkage is misaligned, the matrix may not heat the air sufficiently (assuming the engine coolants warm enough at first)

:suspect: Thanks for the reply.

The engine warms up fine and the temperature gauge reads normal. One thing I have noticed is that the vents that blow on the side window seem to blow hotter air but the vents in the middle of the dash blow cold.
If it is the heater matrix or the linkage is misaligned is it a big job to sort out.

is the windscreen vents also hot? and is the vent control dial set to windscreen?
cos when i send hot air to the windscreen, my middle vents blow a little cold air. redivertin the air to the middle vents makes em hot again.
(i remember the foamy seal strips on the diverting baffles when i last overhauled mine were a little perished hence leaks a little)

does ur vent controls sync up with the actual airflow in windscreen, footwell & face mode? (ie, set dial exactly to "Windscreen" and you should feel a breeze from the windscreen vents only) if not, the links either needs adjusting and/or the foam seals perished.

if the vent controls are ok yet only get hot air in some vents, the hot/cold baffle (diverts air through heater core) may need adjustment or is perished.

i think adjusting the cable linkages involved removin the center console cover, unscrew the heater control unit to access the cables, remove the tiny outer cable anchor clips, slide the outer cable to adjust the cable, then reassemble.

servicing the baffles themselves involved takin out the dash & steering. (last resort)

i was under the impression that coolant flowed around the heater matrix all the time, and all the hot/cold knob does is allow more or less incoming air to pass through the hot matrix.

dunno, mine has a valve on the matrix tubes. no idea why.

car451copymw6.jpg

Back