Hearing knocking sorta noises...

Can anyone help?

Well i have been hearing some kind of knocking noise in my Micra and don't know what it is. I have been told that it may be CV joints? what is that?

When i turn like a full lock right and drive i can hear a slight knocking for a second or so, its fine on the straight.

Can anyone advise me on what it could be? and how costly it will be to repair or if i can do it myself.

Cheers

OK cheers, but still a bit of a noob but still would like to get stuck in. What is teh CV/Boot? Is it just a rubber seal type thing then?

Cheers

I've just ordered these as I need some for my MOT.

I paid £6 each for them, or could have paid £10 for universal ones but wouldn't need to be ordered.

Get under your car, and look where your driveshaft connects to the wheel. That's the CV boot, the rubber thingy.

Raceworx pointed mine out ;) saved me a re-test lol

its prob a £50 for a garage to do it for you

a few people on here could probably do you a change

raceworx might depending on how busy he is but he the man

he say yes - shocker (sorry personal joke btween me n ian and tommo lol)

Funny that as I just had the MOT done and they never mentioned anything about that... Could it be anything else as well?

Few things to point out. How will changing a bit of rubber fix a broken/worn CV joint? If the seal has gone and dirt has got in or grease has leaked out then no change in rubber external seal is going to fix this.

Neds, if you are unsure about this then I wouldn't try it yourself. That other thread will also be of no use as its far too generalised, and didnt even mention draining the gearbox of oil to remove the drive shaft to do the job properly. You may find its much cheaper to just get a second hand driveshaft and have that changed.

i never had to remove my drive shafts when doing my CV joins. although it's mentioned in the haynes it's not needed to be done.

But as I said changing rubber joints will not fix a broken drive shaft that has damaged CV joints and knocking.

oh i agree with you there ed 100% if your replacing split boots you should really replace the joint as well, even if you pack enough grease in there...

yes dont just replace the rubber thats nothin to do woith it really. its the actual joint that knocks.
if the rubbbers are split but the joint is ok thats when you would just pay change the rubbers and pack them out wi grease

My knocking noise was not the cv, it was a bolt on the lower arm.
Garage said all it needed was to change a bolt on the lower arm but it was fused and could not get the bolt off.

Ended up changing the whole lower arm!

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 196
Back