Headlight connectors melted

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
My left one melted too... most of the bigger auto stores carry them or can order them in. I think the replacement I got was a Narva brand one. Or you can ebay it. They come with about a 20cm tail, the Narva with some decent gauge wire, for you to solder in. Use heat shrink insulation when you do as electrical tape is not recommended for hot places like an engine bay....
mine has lasted almost a year now but it was only the left one that melted so could hav been a dodgy earth that caused it to heat up as I have still got stock nissan bulbs.

CMF_azman89

» CMF Member
You'd be surprised how many cars have issues with headlight plugs, with standard globes in them.
However, running 100/90w globes isn't advisable in a car with such a small gauge wiring harness to the globes. Your plugs have melted due to the excess heat produced by the globes themselves and the extra current draw through the conductors.
Replacing the plugs with better ones (you can get ceramic plugs with a high temp plastic outer shell) only means you're not going to melt the plug or the 20cm of wire that came with it. The rest of the circuit is still at risk...
Touch the headlight fuses after getting home one night with the headlights on. I bet they're pretty warm. I've seen plenty of melted fuse boxes due to that sort of thing as well.

My two cents:
Ditch the 100/90 globes (that's ancient technology anyway)
Buy some "+100" globes. I believe Philips makes them.
They draw the same power (55/60w) with 100% more light output.
They look better (whiter light) last longer and outperform the 100/90's.

And as a nice bonus, they won't destroy your vehicles lighting circuit.

Obviously you'll still have to replace the plugs.
So you can still take the risk with the 100/90's if you so desire.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
I have been lazy but I intend to wire in some relays with decent gauge wire direct from the battery + terminal, similar wire for the earth and use the existing headlight circuit to switch the relays.
I had to do this in my 260Z after the combination switch for the headlights hi/lo and indicators burnt out... too much current going through the switch after changing from sealed beam headlights to H4 55/60's iirc.

CMF_Wallie

» CMF Member
Ebay, my lhs plug melted & i got a pair off ebay for $2ea decent wiring in the plug, almost twice as thick as the factory wiring.

anyway micra's arnt ment to run that bright globe unless you switch back to a 55/100 your gonna keep melting plugs or worse the wiring could catch fire.

since running that kinda voltage headlights is defectable anyway why not just run 5000k HID's

CMF_justin

» CMF Member
Got it sorted. 2 new narva plug connectors and I'm gonna ditch the globes for some Phillips or osrams. My headlights do get really hot from the globes and I'm not gonna risk a fire for the brightness. Hid's are also an option I'll have to weigh up. Cheers Justin

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
justin WROTE:

"Got it sorted. 2 new narva plug connectors and I'm gonna ditch the globes for some Phillips or osrams. My headlights do get really hot from the globes and I'm not gonna risk a fire for the brightness. Hid's are also an option I'll have to weigh up. Cheers Justin

If you don't mind me asking what did the Narvas cost you?

Back