Headlight bulbs keep going

HI all,

I've had to change my headlight bulbs about 3 times in the last 6 months - year.

I'm sure there's something wrong - is there anything I can check?

thanks guys.

check the fuse holder with the 2 headlight fuses in ( next to the battery ) take out the fuse and see if theres any green corrosion or even a melted or starting to melt fuse holder

Fordy said:
check the fuse holder with the 2 headlight fuses in ( next to the battery ) take out the fuse and see if theres any green corrosion or even a melted or starting to melt fuse holder

isn't that the same fuse box in my dash under my steering wheel?

no.. theres a couple of fuse boxes in the engine bay too, so it would be the one nearest to the battery in the engine bay :)

rlees85 said:
no.. theres a couple of fuse boxes in the engine bay too, so it would be the one nearest to the battery in the engine bay :)

cheers mate, I'll have to have a look at changing the fuse for my headlight then will I?

ok - I dont really know what i'm doing....had a look in the Haynes and it only shows a guide for replacing the fuses under my steering wheel. It can't be too hard - but can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks *is embarrassed*

OK I've checked the fuses under the bonnet and the one near the battery on the right doesn't mention lights on the cover of the fuse box, but the one on the far left does. I took the cover off and could see a big blue plastic (what must be a fuse) shaped like a cross, is this what i need to replace?

Thanks.

i have the same problem but i get the rear brake and side lights blowing as well :confused:

stokefan said:
OK I've checked the fuses under the bonnet and the one near the battery on the right doesn't mention lights on the cover of the fuse box, but the one on the far left does. I took the cover off and could see a big blue plastic (what must be a fuse) shaped like a cross, is this what i need to replace?

Thanks.

im not sure, it sounds about right tho, ive never had to replace a fuse in the engine bay before...

stokefan said:
hi all,

found the problem....it's underneath the fusebox which the headlight fuse clips into that's corroded :(

does anyone know how much I'm likely to pick up a fuse box for please?

Also - how much do you think is a fair price for it fitted?

thanks.

found out my problem on the front headlights the block that connects the wires to the bolb was ####ed and they keeped sparking making the lights go out and blow bulbs and it melted the block as can kinda see in the pic

Monkey_CSW said:
found out my problem on the front headlights the block that connects the wires to the bolb was ####ed and they keeped sparking making the lights go out and blow bulbs and it melted the block as can kinda see in the pic

crikey!! what a mess!

that's not what happens on mine though, my problem is the connector for the headlight fuse in the fusebox near the battery (kindly pointed out by rlees85 and co. it's corroded so I can either try and fudge it (no idea what i'd be doing though :O) or get a new fuse box fitted - which i dont know how much it'll cost.

No one has pointed out the obvious, BUT if things keep blowing in the car CHECK THE ALTERNATOR. Its entirely possible that the voltage is going too high. You risk blowing all kinds of things in your car...

Ed

Ed said:
No one has pointed out the obvious, BUT if things keep blowing in the car CHECK THE ALTERNATOR. Its entirely possible that the voltage is going too high. You risk blowing all kinds of things in your car...

Ed

thanks Ed, sorry for the simple question but how would you check the alternator?

I am pretty sure though that the corrosion beneath the headlight fuse is to blame, I just wish I knew how to take the fuse box out so I can see what damage is done, so maybe I could clean it up.

Hi all, tried to clean out the connections on the one fuse connection that doesnt connect the fuse correctly, and it's a no go - its completely broken.

Here's a diagram of the connector as it shoudl be, the black bits are how the connectors are meant to be, and the white space in the middle is where the fuse is meant to slot.

The black bits are the bits that are corroded.

broken_connector.jpg

Does any one know if it's repairable, or whether i'd have to get another whole fusebox? seems a bit of a waste if so, as I know all the other connections aren't at all rotten and are in good nick.

ok I've booked my car in to see an auto electrician this lunchtime.

He said on the phone that he knows what's happened, and that he'll quote me when I come along. He said he could get around it by creating a new set of connecters outside the fusebox and wiring that into the existing fusebox's wires....does anyone know how much that is likely to cost me? What is reasonable etc.

My headlight bulbs kept going, tried using connection cleaner in the fuse box, but was corroded severely. I've just re-wired my headlamp circuit.

Back