Headlamps Question from a Novice!

A

Aidan

Hello all, I'm new here - looks like a great resource!
I know nothing about maintenance so forgive me if I get my terms wrong! I've decided to start to learn how to maintain my motor rather than taking it to a garage for every little problem.

I came across the site when looking for a fix to my problem.
The nearside headlamp will not function on main beam - it stays on 'sidelights'.
When I have the headlamps on 'sidelights', a screeching / buzzing noise occurs intermittently (sounds like it is coming from the fuse box under the dash).

My first step will be to try a replacement bulb - but, being a complete novice, I have no idea how to get at the bulbs inside the headlamps - can anyone help? :blush:

Many thanks

Aidan

D4R73N said:
Sounds like a Fuse might have gone, this would be the two (Blue) ten amp's on the left.

Surely both headlights wouldnt work?

To me its either the bulb or the connector on the back of the light is loose, or could require cleaning and the noise i think is coming from the headlight Relay

Have you got yourself a Haynes service and repair manual? they're very useful!

Aidan said:
Hello all, I'm new here - looks like a great resource!
I know nothing about maintenance so forgive me if I get my terms wrong! I've decided to start to learn how to maintain my motor rather than taking it to a garage for every little problem.

I came across the site when looking for a fix to my problem.
The nearside headlamp will not function on main beam - it stays on 'sidelights'.
When I have the headlamps on 'sidelights', a screeching / buzzing noise occurs intermittently (sounds like it is coming from the fuse box under the dash).

My first step will be to try a replacement bulb - but, being a complete novice, I have no idea how to get at the bulbs inside the headlamps - can anyone help? :blush:

Many thanks

Aidan
Hi, welcome to the club!

What year is your K11? The earlier ones had a design flaw where the headlamp bulb connectors would melt a bit and short circuit, which is what could well be causing the buzzing relay in the fusebox.

James.

James said:
Hi, welcome to the club!

What year is your K11? The earlier ones had a design flaw where the headlamp bulb connectors would melt a bit and short circuit, which is what could well be causing the buzzing relay in the fusebox.

James.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Hi James, it's a 1996 Shape 1.0

Cheers
Aidan

Okay, well this may sound weird, but if the headlight is making the buzzing noise, try giving the problematic headlight a firm whack on the front, if that stops it then the problem is most likely what I suggested :)

James.

James said:
The earlier ones had a design flaw where the headlamp bulb connectors would melt a bit and short circuit, which is what could well be causing the buzzing relay in the fusebox.

hey, i agree on this. the first day i got my micra home i thought id test the lights again. the next thing i knew a wired "buzzing, sizzling" came about and didnt have a clue what it was. then after checking the light again my "right head light (if look at car from front) was out. after checking fuses by battery, it had blown part of the plastic holder away :-( i wasnt impresses. fitting a new fused sorted it for a while, but then plastic would heat up (still not sure why??) and would melt the new fuse in there :-(

another problem now is that one light is dimmer that the left.

hope this helps
napster

yep my lights had this fauly they didnt solder it in or something so it melted the plug it cos me about a fiver I think to get a new plug and have someone fitted and he soldered it no problems since :)

James said:
Thar ya go! :) Nice to see some confirmations there hehe, It wasn't just my old K11 it happened to then ;)

no, wasnted just your k11 lol. i couldnt believe my luck though when i came across HALF OF THE FUSE HOLDER MISING lol.
because the fuse doesnt properly sit "snugly" in the fuse holder now, one light is dimmer that the other :-(??
ive tryed cleaning the connectors, but not happening
napster

This happens to mine, it is the bulb connector of the dimmer light, the plastic has gone all melty and it is fusing.
I fix it by unplugging and then plugging back in teh bulb a few times, this will cure it for a few weeks, or until it is wet again.
Only way to fix it is to get a new connector either from Nissan or a scrappy.

Craig said:
This happens to mine, it is the bulb connector of the dimmer light, the plastic has gone all melty and it is fusing.
I fix it by unplugging and then plugging back in teh bulb a few times, this will cure it for a few weeks, or until it is wet again.
Only way to fix it is to get a new connector either from Nissan or a scrappy.

im alittle confused. sorry. did you mean you take the dimmer bulb out from the headlight connector and then just put it back in again, or you swap the bulbs around??

cheers

Just unlug the connectro from the back ofthe headlight and push it back onto the bulb a few times, a little wiggle should also help sort it out.

...right head light (if look at car from front) was out. after checking fuses by battery, it had blown part of the plastic holder away ...hope this helps
napster

Thanks to all who answered.

Napster, my problem was the same as yours - the fuse had melted and part of the holder had blown away!

I've got a fresh fuse in now - hopefully it will be ok for a while.

Many thanks all,

Aidan

Back