Hand Brake Dash Light

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
There is a switch on the handbrake handle. Could be some foreign object down there or more likely the handbrake mounts are tearing away from the floorpan. Weld it up & don't yank on the handle so hard in the future.

CMF_Dennis

» CMF Member
I have since found that if I disconnect the 2 wire plug from the Brake Fluid reservoir and earth the wires, then the dash light goes off.
So it seems that the fluid level switch combined into the plastic reservoir is at fault..Well I think it is, unless someone knows another possibility.
That dash light is the handbrake on warning,and also low fluid level warning. Clever but also confusing.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Dennis WROTE:

"I have since found that if I disconnect the 2 wire plug from the Brake Fluid reservoir and earth the wires, then the dash light goes off.

So it seems that the fluid level switch combined into the plastic reservoir is at fault..Well I think it is, unless someone knows another possibility.

That dash light is the handbrake on warning,and also low fluid level warning. Clever but also confusing.

Hmm yeah mine's been on for a few months.. couldn't be arsed to fix it. It happened intermittently before it just decided to stay on after going over a speed bump. Checked all the handbrake stuff (switch and cables) and seemed to be fine, likewise with the brake fluid reservoir.

I thought originally it was because my brake shoes were worn right down, but after replacing cylinders and shoes it didn't disappear.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for it but would love to hear if you manage to get it fixed. I check all fluids each week anyway so it's just a matter of making sure that it's still got enough brake fluid and isn't really losing any.

---dens

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
might sound a bit strange..
but when i installed a whiteline rear swaybar, i was 'testing' it right afterwoods at the local 'racetrack', h/b light came on and stayed on. I checked underneath, swaybar had been smashing h/b cable on one side. I have since got droplinks and made up a little clamp to stop its sideways movement.
Anyway, i checked over sensor, mounts, fluid levels, re-adjusted it for good measure.. then took the lamp out of the dash, it is not on anymore.
No idea if that helps.. or if the standard rear sway would come across that far.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Yeah I ziptied my handbrake cables away from everything so it didn't foul on anything once the lower trailing arms were replaced with the whiteline items(at least, I think that's what I ziptied up..) since unlike the stock lower trailing arms the whiteline ones don't have the little clip thingies I think..

---dens

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
Juzzy WROTE:

"This happened to me last week, turned out to be stuffed rear cylinders, changed pads n cylinders, light has gone out.<BR>Worth while pulling your brakes apart n checking!

Rear cylinders on micras tend to have rear wheel cylinder leaks i have had mine replaced twice in 8 years of owning the car due to leaking rear wheel cylinders. Glad i got them replaced because my mate was driving a peugeot 106 once and the rear wheel cylinder seals went and his brakes totally failed!

About 4 years ago my wheel cylinders leaked so badly that the h/brake light came on because fluid was low. I topped fluid up and a few days later the light came on again but i didn't know what was up. car subsequently had MOT and it failed on leaking rear cylinders and i had to have shoes and cylinders replaced costing me £200!

Just had an MOT done in july and brakes were found not to be as efficient as they should be and the MOT technician said that rear cylinders maybe leaking. I took the car home and took rear drums off and had a look at the cylinders and all looked fine. What i didn't realise was that the rubber caps on the cylinders were removable (i didn't wanna mess around with they cylinders at all in case it went wrong) and it turns out that they were leaking inside the rubber caps. Also i noticed that h/brake was not holding as well as it should on inclines! Good job i got them replaced otherwise i'd probably be wrapped round a tree by now!

smidge

» CMF Member
mine did it when i got the car and it was low on fluid

check around here for some posts by JKL from about a year ago, he had the same problem and fixed it somehow..

brakes a cheap, crashes aren't...

chuck the stockies, get pulsar gear for the front and new everything for the rear and be merry

Back