Gunge on radiator cap - anything to worry about?

Checked the levels today, and have encountered a couple of issues - when I removed the radiator cap I found that it had some greyish gunge on it, could this be something to worry about? Checked the oil and oil cap - no gunge at all on those parts. I must admit I don't drive the car much, and when I do it's short journies - was thinking that it could just be condensation build up?

One other thing - is there a knack to getting the oil cap back in? Took me a while to get it off and had no luck so far getting it back in........

I wouldn't worry mate if the car runs fine and the mayo is minimal I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on the levels more than likely just sh!t that has accumulated over the years

well it cold be the head gasket has a pin hole init so over time bits of oil can get in the coolent, but if it is it well take so time to become anything bigger so should be ok but i would flush the radiator and pipes though. one question has the head gasket been changed before do u know ?

hi black jack - I have no idea if it has been changed before, to be honest it doesn't look to have been serviced in quite a while :/

Lol head gasket isn't the cause of this it will most likely just be because it's never had the rad flushed i would but allot of money on it not being a head gasket on a MA engine
Very rare for a head failure on k10 engines although I have done it but I drive the engine into the ground

well when oil gets into water it turns into a cream, and it can be the head gakest with apin hole in it as i know worked on a car with, but if it has a car can get years before anything happens coz it dont show up inless u test it,

well when oil gets into water it turns into a cream, and it can be the head gakest with apin hole in it as i know worked on a car with, but if it has a car can get years before anything happens coz it dont show up inless u test it,

I'm well aware of this mate and have repaired it many times on many vehicles, he didn't say it was the mayonnaise that oil in coolant can cause he said gunge which could just be #### from the coolant system

The oil cap i would clean up then place in hot water to 'loosen' it up then dry it quickly and reinstall before it cools too much and becomes hard again.

a pin hole in a head gasket........classic :doh:

Well maybe someone stuck it with a pin :laugh:- you don't know, nothing should suprise you when advice is asked on an internet forum.

I had someone once tell me what was wrong with their engine because the fault had been diagnosed by his brother in law whose best mate once worked for Mercedes. Quite true. :wow:

Back