Good idea? hmm

if they is a breakdown they will be accidents... but what happens if theres a breakdown on a dual carridgeway? so....

Apparently if there is a breakdown a gaint X goes up on the board above the specific lane. It's nota bad idea atol...
However, I don't know what the traffic is like down there...

-Jamie

This Active Traffic Management has actually been trialled on the M42 since February of last year, I think the media's only got on top of it because it's officially in full time operation as of today.

Personally I think it's a good idea, it's not like they'll send people down there when there's a car broken down there. And additionally, there are many "Emergency Refuge Areas" for broken down cars to go in if that is the case.

I've only ever been on the M42 once, and it was gridlocked, and it wasn't during peak hour so anything that could reduce that is a good thing hehe

Plenty of information here: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/atm/

I've only ever been on that road a few times too, and it was congested each time. If your car's overheating and u need to pull over, and get out the way, you wont be able to get in that lane as it will be full of stationary traffic! And it'l cause even more chaos instead of having three or four lanes of moving traffic, you'l have one lot trying to get out the hard shoulder back into normal non moving traffic.

It seems like an ok idea if there are no breakdowns or problems, but you can just see something going wrong.

One way of easing the problem is improving public transport, and lowing prices of it, getting more people off the roads!

Generally this seems to run pretty well, but one broken down vehicle can cause everything to grind to a halt. A car stopped in the hard shoulder...caused big tailbacks. Everything in the hard shoulder lane (generally lorries) had to overtake the car. The situation seems dangerous, but the actual traffic speed is low during the peak periods anyway (so much for unrestricted motorway speeds), so it isn't quite as bad as it seems.

Thats the sort of situation im imagining, everything seems to work better in Europe, but we have a different driving attitude to the rest! Some bloke puts his hazards on to slow down, Pikey Chav and his 12 year old wife will probably ignore it and smash into the back of it etc!

Just remember, the hard shoulder is a last ditch attempt to keep the traffic flowing, first they set variable speed limits, then if that doesnt work, entry slip-road traffic lights come on, restricting the amount of cars allowed to enter the motorway to a few at a time and then if all else fails, they open the hard shoulder to traffic - but I assume this would be like the variable speed limits on the M25, only on for as long as they're needed then switched off.

It also has other uses, such as making the hardshoulder a "coach only" lane for events at the NEC arena, or telling motorists which lane an accident was in and closing that lane...

I think it will all be fine, but we shall see

People just dont obey limits and signs as it is. Congestion limits on the M25 would work if everybody used them, but the number of times i've seen people doing 70+ when they're displaying 40! You just feel some people will ignore the red X above the lane and push there luck, until something bad happens.

Like you say, i guess only time will tell! I guess they would have had to look at all the issues like this already before launching it

Here's some Highways Agency responses to questions:

How will traffic already on the hard shoulder be safe if hard shoulder running is started?
The hard shoulder will only be opened as a running lane if it is clear and safe to do so. The opening sequence consists of monitoring the hard shoulder from the control room via the comprehensive CCTV coverage to ensure that the section of the hard shoulder scheduled to be opened is free from debris or stationary vehicles.
This is followed by setting the signals to indicate that the hard shoulder is open for use as a running lane.
Finally further monitoring of the section is carried out to ensure it is being used correctly and that there are no stationary vehicles on the hard shoulder.
Therefore if a vehicle is stopped on the hard shoulder the opening sequence will be aborted and will not recommence until the vehicle has moved or has been removed.
This situation will be monitored by the control centre via comprehensive CCTV coverage and use of on-road services such as Traffic Officers.
Only when the hard shoulder is clear can the opening sequence recommence. If a vehicle stops on the hard shoulder during the opening sequence, then once again the hard shoulder prior to the vehicle will remain closed until the vehicle is removed.
The hard shoulder that has already been opened will remain open to ease the flow of traffic after the stopped vehicle.
The operation of the hard shoulder is broken down into sections. This means that particular sections of the hard shoulder can be opened at any time to relieve congestion. It is not envisaged that the entire hard shoulder along the complete length of the scheme will be opened at the same time.

The hard shoulder will only be a running lane in heavy traffic, but this is the most likely time for accidents to occur. How will emergency services reach an accident with no hard shoulder?
The use of the hard shoulder will only be required prior to the onset of congestion. When the hard shoulder is opened the traffic speeds will have dropped to below 50mph. It is therefore envisaged that if an accident does occur it is likely to be less severe in nature and should not require the attendance of the emergency services.
Should the Emergency services be required to attend, the signs and signals will be set to close the affected lanes and divert traffic out of them. This should free up a lane to allow the emergency service vehicles clear access to the incident.
Being able to open separate sections of the hard shoulder also provides the ability to clear the traffic quickly ahead of any incident, thus allowing the filtering of traffic to proceed quickly.

How will this scheme be implemented on sections of motorway with intermittent hard shoulders (such as parts of M25, M1, M62) without simply widening the road?*
There are no plans currently to install an ATM type scheme on any motorway with intermittent hard shoulders.

What is the view of the emergency services concerning ATM?
The ATM project team have been in extensive consultation with the emergency services. All the local emergency services who we have been in consultation with have offered their support in the delivery of the scheme and the operational regimes.

Back