Gearbox Wires?

Dusk

Deactivated Account
What are the wires that go to the gearbox, as i am having abit of difficulty.

Speedocable - duh
ReverseLight...

But what is the other cable, and what is it for?
Anyone know? ta..

hi Dusk just checked Haynes manual Section 7A.4 and it has the whole procedure for testing, removal and refitting the parts so is quite in depth about it...

but to answer your Question... find the cable running into the transmission, prise it out and look at it with the plastic clip at the top.

1 and 2 are Neutral contacts
3 and 4 are Reverse contacts

if you put an ohmeter between the numbered you can test if there is continuity and if they work properly...

Neutral [1*3] Reverse
contacts [2 4] contacts

(the * being the clip bit at the top)

if you want i'll scan the page and email you just give us a shout...

sory dusk just read you post properly, and i dont think my reply helps you at all... it answers what wires are for int the position switch...

i thought you meant the wires with the reverse cable... Doh

sorry :(

Theres a neutral switch (depending on engine size / year).
Theres also a earth wire.

i think thats all (including what you've already mentioned)...apart from breather pipes etc, which you havent asked about.

What does the neutral switch(cable) do exactly?
Im only asking because i accidently pulled the cable off the gearbox when i was lifting it up... however it is a 1.6 gearbox...
There are still 2 cables though, but knowing that the car wont malfunction without them in would be great...

neutral switch as far as im aware, just lets the ecu know when the cars not in gear...apart from that no idea :)

Back