Best 1.3 engine setup

I’ll start off by apologising about this post being a little long and rambling

I’m looking for some advice on building up a good 1.3 engine to fit to my Mini. I have spent quite some time reading through various posts on this site and have uncovered a wealth of useful information. But, as is often the case, for every question I get answers for I seem to come up with two more questions.

My aim is to build up a non-fuel injected engine with good acceleration. I am more than happy to sacrifice top speed for better acceleration. From what I have read people have had some good results with MegaJolt setups but I’m not really ready yet to delve into the black arts of fuel injection.

Gearboxes
From what I have read it would seem that the earlier 1.0L gearboxes (pre 98 facelift) would be best suited to my needs and are compatible with the 1.3 engine (CG13). Are there any differences between the gearbox from a K10 and a K11?

Size: due to the size constraints in trying to fit the Micra engine and gearbox within the modified Mini sub-frame I need to use the smallest setup possible. Is there any difference in the sizes of any of the gearboxes/casings?

Distributor
To avoid having fuel injection I was planning to fit the distributor from a pre-coil pack 1.0L engine (from a K10). The biggest problems with this is that the K10 dizzy is 6mm smaller diameter where it fits in the head. Also the K10 dizzy is female slot drive whereas the K11 is male slot drive. I think I can overcome this by having an adaptor machined to overcome the diameter issue and cutting the end off the K11 dizzy and getting it tig welded to K11 dizzy. Am I over complicating this? Was there a 1.0L K11 engine that used a suitable distributor?

Carbs & Inlet manifold
I intend to fit a bank of motorbike carbs (either from a CBR600 or 600 Ninja). I think I am quite happy with the information I have found on this site about this. I assume that as I am going to be running a pre coil pack distributor that I will need to build in a take-off from the manifold for the vacuum advance on the dizzy?

Fuelling
Other articles I have read on fitting bike carbs on other older cars used the mechanical fuel pumps already with the engines. For this set up on a CG13 engine would I be better off with a facet fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator? I suppose that the pressure would depend upon the carbs I use?

Thanks in advance for your help

frank

Club Member
the RS5F41 pre 98 1.0 k11 g/box is physically smaller, and is very similar to the k10 one.
and a mini dizzy would probably be a better option :)