Gear stick surround idea

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I am planning on making a surround for my stick to replace the huge lump of rubber.
To be cheap I'm gunna make it outta perspex and spray it on the bottom so the paint doesn't rub off.
If I can make it and make it look good would anyone else be interested in having one?
Here's a rough idea of what I'm talking about.
gss.jpg

olly

this is one of your better idea,s
got to be polished ally tho (ferrari-esque with a 6th or 7th slot)

I was thinking brushed ally but don't have the cutting abilities. :( might have a bash with the dremel though.

My router is broken after cutting perspex, the blade had too little load I think cos there was smoke coming out lol.

When I get a new one I'll give it a go.

sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news...but if the gear stick throw is anything like the k11 then the gear leaver itself wont move over far enough to allow the throw into first/second...without effecting third/fourth.

I looked into this awhile back and my cardboard version, just seemed to get mashed very quickly...granted I didn’t spend to much time on it, i had a quick go and then stopped. So maybe its possible with some additional tinkering, but id suggest trying it first quickly, before spending ages making something that may become a paper weight or a stencil for drawing shift patterns. :)

I had plans to make a cereal box model first to test it. The channels will be oversized to allow for leaning of the stick. I'll keep trying til it works.

imo that wont work

to elaberate a little, ( is was in a rush on my first post ), the throw on the K10 is not enough to go into the slots, the fingers will need to be really thin, and if your gear stick is anything like the ones on both the micras iv had, they tend to move around quite alot and it will catch, knock into, and vibrate against anything you put there, it is possible but you will end up with a piece of perspex with a square hole in it and no slots or fingers.

Oh ok I get what you're saying now, basically there's not enough throw to need the holes that low down on the stick.
Oh well I'll have to come up with another good idea now to restore my good to bad idea ratio.

because of how close the surround is to the ball of the lever, then there's not enough movement for it to look any good with a grid like that.

Right, been out today with some cardboard and a knife and this is what I ended up with, obviously I'll round everything off a bit:
DSC00125.jpg

Might look nice with some neons under it. Doesn't move much though.

Back