Ga16de build

Ive just brought a Primera ga16de engine and Ecu my plan is to get a week off work and get the beast into the bay in three days!
I've done engine swaps many times and race and build stockcars so should be ok with the fabrication side of things.

I plan to do a step by step guide on what needs to be done for the cheapest money making everything by hand so people can follow or use it as a guide for there own project.

Any advice would of course be greatly received!

Updates will be on there way!!!

There's many approaches to the same goal
Some not to my taste, sone outright unsafe
I'll be intrigued to see how you tackle it

Plan is going the route of dropping the lump straight in and only making the one OS Engine mount and chop a large piece from the chassis rail then semi space frame the engine bay to bring the strength back.

It's not a case of strength
It's a case of how the chassis reacts to an impact. Otherwise they'd just use a 3mm walled box section. And have done with
The chassis cutting was what I was referencing about outright unsafe

I see what your saying, but surely the best thing a chassis can do is nothing? As in not move because it's solid. Otherwise I would send the engine through the footwell on impact? Sorry I'm just used to solid mounts and chaining the engine tight in place so it doesn't move.

Anyway I plan to make the cut as a hex type shape and then box it in so send the stresses of any impact into a larger area rather than basically folding up the area that's cut out.

You've tripped yourself up in the same paragraph
Folding is purposeful by design that's the point
If it was completely solid as you suggest then it would tear through the bulkhead and put and engine on your knee. When they fold they put the engine downwards under the car, hence crumple zones and crash testing. Next time you look at a chassis leg, take note of its shape

I use solid mounts on all my conversions but without the chassis compromise.
Crafting a mount that leaves the chassis intact requires greater effort but a safer car for everyone

Ok i understand where your coming from there. And I guess if you just chopped a chunk out it would fold up to quickly?

I'll come up with a new idea no1 has tried yet.

Give me a day and I'll have something lol

Thinking about how other cars are made. the Vauxhall nova has practically a big dent put into the chassis leg to make room for the water pump pulley so this is just the same as franks idea. Just a dome shape pressed into the metal.

Pressed in curves are a far cry from cutting and welding or similar, they have 200tonne presses that shape that perfectly to function that way. Everyone is well aware of my opinion on stretching the legs apart or adding silly dents. It's ridiculous in my opinion, if you stretch a purpose made piece of metal somewhere it doesn't want to be and it retracts something somewhere is resisting and has now stretched. Which without too much thought means it's now weakened, why anyone would want to weaken the chassis is beyond me

If you cut a chunk out you'll have to replace it, that usually entails some kind of strengthening, that's when controlled collapse goes out the window.

It'll be great if you come up with something different. Obviously no one wants you to crash but if for some reason you did it'd be beneficial if the engine doesn't crush your legs

Back