Fuel Filters... Is this normal?

Hey guys, I hate to keep posting noob style questions here, but I've never dealt with a K10 before.

For some reason, today, my car came to a stop without any sign of restarting, so out of boredom waiting for Mum with the other car, I thought I'd change the fuel filter (For the 3rd time!).

Fuel filter changed, all was well, so I drove home with about 25% more go and no chugging or cutting out at sustained speeds.

Why, however, in 10,000 miles have I ended up changing my fuel filter three times now?

I regularly run the tank to nigh on empty just because I always have done, and I've never had this sorta problem before. After the first time, I'd have thought any crap would'a gone through into the first or at most, the second filter I fitted. But no, the third one clogged up and now I'm on four!

Any ideas?

Stu.

You may well just have lots of crap in your tank, sounds very much like it. i take it the filters are pretty gunked up when you remove them?
If i were you i would drain the tank and flush it out with a couple of litres of fuel (cheaper than keep throwing filters at the thing).

Not a NOOB question...!

Do a 'noddie' and see what happens.......at least this problem is 'repeatable' so you will know soon enough if the flush does the job.

Something else to consider....in preparation for your flush...it will help to remove the rear seat completely....this will expose the assembly that takes and returns fuel to and from the fuel tank.

lift the carpet a little and disconnect the electrical connector...pull up the cable (even if teh sticky pad tears up) carefully, use pliers to remove the flexible hose clips and hoses from the assembly then use a mallet and a large flat-blade screwdriver to remove the circular clamp .....

carefully withdraw the assembly...there will be some electronics, a float and a mechanical sieve-type filter......carefully inspect the filter and pipework...this filter is designed to keep the larger bits of dirt from getting anywhewre near the fuel filter.

have fun mate, let us know how it goes:)

rich

If you regularly run your tank near empty condensation collects in the tank (which would cause rough running), this in turn rusts the tank which falls into the fuel (which would also cause rough running and frequent fuel filter blockages).
Problem is when the tank starts to rust it keeps rusting! If you have to change the filter all the time it might be a good time to start a 'New petrol tank fund'!

I bought a Mini, years ago. First thing I done was fill the tank up for the drive home. The gauge seemed to drop very fast so I assumed it was faulty....

until it ran out of petrol 40 miles up the road. I opened the boot to get the plastic can to find a petrol station only to find the boot floor soaked in petrol! The guy I bought the car from only ever put £5 in at a time, for years. So when I filled it up it all spilled out through the rusted top half of the tank!:laugh:

Lol. I regularly fill it to the brim and run it to the absolute empty. So, I'll stop doing that for a start. It's nothing big in the fuel filter, just grit and gunge. Doesn't look rusty as such. But I'll take out the "Big Bits" filter and keep my eyes on it!

Back