Fuel Additives

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
Hey,

Been wandering in and out of loads of little car parts shops looking for bits for my car and kept on seeing all these different additives for fuel and oil etc.

So I just thought i'd ask if anyone knows if they actually do anything? Or is it just a load of hot air with very little to back it up?

And if anyone can recommend any that would be kinda handy too.

i used engine flush once, dont really know if it done any good or not, only ever used it becuase i didnt do an oil change for 20,000 miles :blush:

i also used redex injector cleaner whilst trying to diagnose a mis-fire, it didnt fix it, but it seemed to help it run a bit smoother. im sure others would disagree however

Ive used redex a couple of times when i had fuel consumption issues. Doubt it did anything. Regular servicing and maintenance would probably be alot better than supplements!

I was just curious because i'm starting to find all these silly little things wrong with my car - like went to check the air filter only to find it didn't have one.

Hence i'm now just going through the routine maintenance bit in the haynes manual and doing everything it recommends, don't really want to be halfway up to dee and have the car on die on me because I believed the guy who sold it when he told me it'd been serviced regularly.

i find redex injector cleaner messes up the k11 engine/ecu untill it clears out. i may have been putting a little too much in though. a minimum dose maybe ok.

Dont touch oil additives. Some octane boosters can work but they usually only make a tiny difference.

Ed

Ed said:
Dont touch oil additives.

Ed

really sorry for bringing an old thread up......but whats the reason behind this?

not that i dont belive you.just cant think what it can do..

Because the money spent on oil research puts the additives market to shame. Do you really think a company puts as much research into say slick 50 as mobil, or whatever do into their oils :) Fuel additives can and have been shown to work under the right conditions. They can rarely cause actual harm, oil treatments are a totally different area and when we already know that good oil and regular services will see an engine last way in excess of 100K+ miles why do we need to play with something that is already so well proven as to be no issue what so ever?

Ed said:
Because the money spent on oil research puts the additives market to shame. Do you really think a company puts as much research into say slick 50 as mobil, or whatever do into their oils :) Fuel additives can and have been shown to work under the right conditions. They can rarely cause actual harm, oil treatments are a totally different area and when we already know that good oil and regular services will see an engine last way in excess of 100K+ miles why do we need to play with something that is already so well proven as to be no issue what so ever?

thanks ed i thought it would be a simple answer.but i never know with you :)

oh and i heard they can clog the oil filter up too..but i doubt any truth behind that

Some can clog up filters. Slick 50 for example has PTFE. PTFE is actually a solid not a liquid. Its just very small and this can some say clog up filters bearings and all sorts of stuff. Personally I wouldnt put this anywhere near my engine- ever!!!

Ed said:
Some can clog up filters. Slick 50 for example has PTFE. PTFE is actually a solid not a liquid. Its just very small and this can some say clog up filters bearings and all sorts of stuff. Personally I wouldnt put this anywhere near my engine- ever!!!

that is the one they tested..must have been true

they said out of all the cars the slick 50 had more wear on it after 100k changing oil at like 25k each time.and found it cloged up early after the changes and made matters worse

There's a NULON range of oil additives here in australia and they're all very well proven. Infact I know a few people who swear by them.

Personally I just went with NEO Synthetics 10w40. :p The car has been thanking me ever since too. Its been going like a cut cat lately. :)

I have always used redex in all my cars and I do think they make a differnce. But, I also fill up with 97 ron every few tanks as well, think that helps. Although, my micra smells of petrol when ever I stop when I have 97 ron in there

The stuff you can buy to put into fuel works to reduce emmissions for MOT.

i was approached today by a guy who parked next to me in a supermarket and was tying to sell the idea to me of system 4 fuel catlyst. which basically is some metal beads in the fuel system which is meant to make it run better by incrasing octane to 99 and get a guranteed perforance increase of 20% if dizzy was adjusted. i listened for ages and then politely left, with his leaflets in hand. its endorsed by micheal winner so it must be good! but really i'm not that interested.

Back