Front Spots - a question.

D

drpepper970

I have a 1997 SR which has front spotlights but they only come on when the fog light switch is on and the headlights are on full beam.

This is what the handbook says:

lights5cv.jpg

My stalk only has the one setting, do i just need to swap to a stalk with two settings to allow seperate operation of the spots or is there more to it than that?

they are wired into the full beams, so they'll only come on with full beams. you'd have to re-wire them to a seperat switch to turn them on/off when you want.

don't think there ment to be used as fog lights as they are driving lamps can't remeber the diff of the top of my head tho.

:)

The stalk costs £77.... The lights are driving lamps which are only meant to come on with full beam. They are very bright. I removed the bulbs and the holder from them and installed some sidelights in them and wired them to my side lights. Not the best thing to do as you cant switch them off but it does the job for me, will get pics.

thanks guys.

if they are meant to be driving lamps it seems odd that are wired into the fog switch and only come on with main beam. every time i've driven in fog i drive with dipped lights cos of the glare of main beam on the fog. with dipped lights and these low down lights it would give more light on the road in front and to the side of you (wouldn't it?).

I guess i'll have to get down the scrappy and try to get hold of a cheap stalk with the extra setting or consult my mate who knows car electrics better than I.

craig, i'm interested in the stalk you have, i have emailed you through the profile email link

Driving lamps are mounted high up, and should only come on when full beam is on. They generally provide a long distance beam.

Fog lamps are mounted lower, and should only come on when the main headlights (dipped or full) are on. They give a low, wide spread beam to stop light reflecting off the fog, and illuminate the sides of the road so you don't crash.

They aren't the same thing, it sounds like you have fog lights that aren't coming on with dipped beam for some reason/

Andrew, spot on I shouldn't have called them 'spots'

Craig - how much for the stalk + postage

RE: RE: Front Spots - a question.

Andrew said:
it sounds like you have fog lights that aren't coming on with dipped beam for some reason/

nah, all Super S and SR models have driving lamps which are not ment to be used as fogs.

why not wire them up to a switch of you own? get one from maplins or something, wirethem up and then you can use them when ever you want

As they stand, you would not want to use them with anything other than full beam when nothings coming, they are seriously blinding!

Incidentally, I just thought, are the additional lights on facelift K11s driving lamps or fog lamps? Cos they're smaller than the ones on Super S/SRs. If so, could this be what the manual is referring to?

Back