Front shock bump stop/ bellow

Good evening just bought some new front shock dust covers/ bellows as they have both seen better days. They are kyb part no 910031 just started stripping the drivers side tonight and they look a bit different to to stock nissan ones. I tried putting the old bump stop in the new bellows and that isn't going to work. Has any used these type of dust covers? Had a closer look at the new ones and realised that the top part appears to be the bump stop? Inside the bellow there's a flat end so I'm guessing thats the bottom of the bump stop this kyb part must be the bellow and bump stop all in one? I've attached a couple of photos. Just wanted to double check that I'm on the right track..
Thanks marco

Attachments

• IMG_20231006_212132.jpg
    10.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231006_212047.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20231006_212024.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20231006_211956.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20231006_211902.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 37
I had same prob with new Billsteins on front. I had to reuse the original bellows cos the bellows supplied are for the k12 and they wont fit as the top mounts are different. As for the bump stop the widest end sits on the strut. I've seen folk put them the other way tho.

When I tried the bump stop on with the new bellow it just doesn't have any travel on the strut stretched out at full length. without the bump stop on and the new bellow fitted the new part has a flat bottom that meets the top of the strut so i am guessing the top part of the bellow is the bump stop all built in one unit instead of two on the k11's....

Hi. Yes those dust covers have bump stop built in so you wouldn't need the old bump stops.
However the top of the old dust cover sits between the top of the coil spring and the spacer to provide protection, otherwise it would be metal on metal.
The new dust boots wont do that cos they are not wide enough. You could use a bit of rubber pipe place of the top of the coil spring or chop the tops of the old dust boots and use those along with you're new dust covers with built in bump stop.

Let me know if you need more help.

Attachments

• IMG_20231006_212132.jpg
    IMG_20231006_212132.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 401A_001.png
    401A_001.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks for replying just showed the the new parts to my neighbour and he reckons they are the bump stops too. I will chop the tops of the old bellows off. As you said metal on metal contact and the spring will be singing. In the past I haf to use an old bicycle inner tube at the bottom of the spring and used a bit of bostik glue to stick it on. Worked well.
Ive just done a refurb on the spring bit rusty but just sanded the scabs then rustreatment and 2 coats of satin black MOT pass hopefully. Lol

That's the first side done now. Chopped the top of the old bellows off. Be doing the other side in a minute. Lol. Have a sill to weld up at the of this month. Not looking forward to that job lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_145127.jpg
    IMG_20231007_145127.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231007_145139.jpg
    IMG_20231007_145139.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
Good job mate. Any updates would be welcome. If you need more help I'll try my best to answer. Ive been restoring my old Micra over the last year. A lot done but motivation and money is unfortunately essential 😁

The other side has proved to be a bit more of a problem the dreaded top nut on the strut. Tried cracking it while strut was still on car. Wouldn't budge. So crunched the spring up with the compressors and used a filter strap around the shaft then locked a big pair of vise grips on and then nut finally came off. Had to move the bump stop and rubber gaiter out the way to do it. There is a tread on here that shows you how to do it. I have in the past clamped it at the bottom of the shaft but you need to be very careful not to scratch it. At least if it's at the top the bump stop sits there so it won't cause anyproblem. That's why I used the filter strap. Just off to do a bit of sanding and refurb the spring then hopefully it will be back on the road tonight...lol🙂👍

I was half expecting the spring to go bang. Lol. I bought some new spring compressors recently and definitely feel a lot safer using the new ones has a bar that holds the two compressors together and stops them slipping on the springs the bottom hook has two parts to it and locks onto the spring. Cost £40 but worth it for peace of mind....

Haha, yep those moments when you think the spring will go bang 💥but you still keep going. I never used mine cos original springs didn't have much tension in em, surprised me. Even with new lowering springs I could compress em enough without clamps, just held strut in vice and pushed down with top mount till thread appeared then put nut on. But yeah those compressors with the bar a miles better.

Back