Front number plate Law / MOT / insurance

From time to time I see a test drive with the 'trade plate' mounted temporarrilt behind the windscreen

My question is:

Is it OK to PERMENANTLY mount a front numberplate behind the windscrean (inside of the vehicle)?

Baring in mind that it will be behind glass and not be perpendicular any more etc

Anyone....(especially MOT gurus)

Good question, im going to say no on this one although i do know quite a few people who did it for ages with no concequences so im not entirely sure.

Nex has had his in his front window for months lol, im not sure if its like that when it goes for its MOT though.. Nex?

had mine in front window for a few days whilst i got time to refit it an the police pulled me said it would be a £60 fine if they saw me again so i`m guessin it`s not legal

£60 fine for having it in the window....but £40 for not having one on at all....lol

for mot the number plate has to be under the headlights and above the fog lights (if fitted) and situated in such a way that a "ANRM" can read them with no problems.
if the vehicle is unable to accept a front number plate, one can be placed in vynal on the front of the bonnet, but not behind the windscreen......

Back